Otan Vargas is creating A Music Journey
a journal of music, travel, friends and unimaginable experiences.
3 Milestone Goalsreached
US Midwest Tour
Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana
US South Tour
Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee and Louisiana
US WestCoast Tour
California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Washington.
Asia & Australia
The songs are Free but if you value my work & want me to make more please consider becoming a Patron. Thanks!
New York, NY, USA
Top PatronsSee all 42
All of my Songs are FREE you can download the full Discography here http://tinyurl.com/OtanVargasDiscography
"The songs that I post here on PATREON are also FREE, but it takes effort and lots of time to make. If you are a fan, value what I do, and want me to continue making music, please consider becoming one of my Patrons. Help support my work and future projects. Thank you!"
For all these years, it is my friends and fans who have been helping me flourish on this musical journey. Your support is the main reason I'm still here making music. For those of you who know me personally or have met me and I conversed my ideals with to know, my goal in music is not to make tons of money, but to simply survive doing what I love. Music to me isn't simply a job, its my life's passion... and this journey has taken me places unimaginable.
I never thought as a boy listening to the radio that someday, I would get the opportunity to work along side my idols. Being from a poor town a world away, I have come so far.
I was born and raised in Tondo, Manila. It is considered to be one of the poorest areas in the Philippines. I came to the United States in 2006 at age 21 to search for better opportunities. I've worked numerous odd jobs, such as delivering newspapers, doing construction, landscaping, and opportunity that came up to help support my family.
I learned how to play the guitar when I was 18 by watching my friends band play back home. I played in battle of the bands with some friends as a teen and when I got more experienced always wanted to record myself so I could see what I looked like performing, but I never owned a videocam. In California, my aunt had one and I asked her if I could use it, she said yes, so I began doing my favorite covers. We were moving to NY and I didn't have a storage drive, so I looked online for a place to put my videos and stumbled on a new site at the time, Youtube. Busy working all the time I didn't get a chance to check my Youtube channel for some time that unknown to me started getting a lot of views and followers as the site became more well known. They started requesting songs, so I decided to continue uploading videos. I started playing music at bars at age 22, which is kind of late compared to other musicians who started their careers when they were teenagers. I was delivering newspapers, writing music, playing in bars for a few people on the weekends, and uploading videos at night. You never know who could be watching you, and then some unexpected doors opened up for me, these are the big events that I was blessed to be a part of..
- 2009 Event: Aaron Lewis of Staind Show at Music Box Borgata Hotel & Casinos | While I was in the audience for his show, Aaron Lewis called me up on stage to sing Staind's famous song "It's Been Awhile" in front 2 thousand people.
- 2010 Event: Jones Beach Summer Show | I was invited to perform at Jones Beach Bandshell in front of 5 thousand people, it was a exhilarating experience playing in front of that many people.
- 2011 Event: It Takes A Community Benefit Concert - Aaron Lewis & Friends Show | on June of 2011 Aaron Lewis announced the rosters for the 2nd annual ITAC Benefit Concert, I was surprised to see my name on the list along side Aaron Lewis of Staind, Corey Taylor of Slipknot, Tesla & Lo Pro. It was one of the most memorable things that happened in my life.
- 2012 Event: First Tour | I was lucky enough to perform at House of Blues which is one of the best venues in the US and in the World. I played both HOB in Houston and in Dallas and couple of other venues in NYC like the legendary Bitter End and Bowery Ballroom.
- 2013 Event: The Battlefield of the Mind Documentary Film Soundtrack | I was asked by Director and Film Producer Fran Strine (Pantera, Staind, Nickelback) to be a part of the soundtrack for his new project called "Battlefield of the Mind" it is a documentary film that focuses on the US Troops who comes home from IRAQ sick, homeless and has PTSD. My song "Hollow Destination" is included in the film soundtrack along side songs from famous artists like David Ellefson of Megadeth, Mike Mushok of Staind, Troy Mclawhorn of Seether/Evanescence, Eye Empire, Lo Pro & Sal G of Staind. It was an honor to be part of a project dedicated to the US Troops.
- 2014 Event: The Origins EP Produced by Johnny April of Staind | I was so fortunate to work with one of my heroes, I've been a fan of Johnny and Staind ever since I was a teenager back in the Philippines and working with him was such an amazing experience. I owe this to the fans they are the ones who helped me fund the recording project through crowd funding. This is my first full produced album and it was produced by one of my idols.
I want to be able continue this journey, that is why I am asking for your support. I've set some GOALS for this Music Journey, it is located on the left side of the screen, I know for a fact that it would be hard and it will take a long time to achieve each Goals especially for an independent musician like myself this is almost like an impossibility, but I know with your help we can make it happen.
I'm hoping that someday some kid from a world away, would witness what I am doing and would be inspired by my story the way my idols inspired me..
A little video of how my Journey started, this video was recorded by my friend Zoe Boreham. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFvAbu_7FNQ
Patreon is a platform for independent artists, it enables fans to become patrons and support their favorite artists. I will be posting new demos here, if you are a patron, you would be able to access all these songs through my Patron Only Stream, you will be able to listen to the songs while they are being created, only Patrons will have access to these songs, they are not going to be released anywhere else. However I will also be releasing other non-exclusive songs (like covers). I want to focus making art, I want this platform to be a place where you and I can communicate and grow together, with less distractions and just have full focus on creating, sharing and inspiring others.
HOW OFTEN DO I POST SONGS?
I would like to post at least two to four songs a month. (Original Demos and Cover Songs). You will not get charged if I don't post any song for the whole month. You can also set a limit on how much you want to give per month so you don't have to worry about giving too much. Patrons get charged every first of the month, Patron rewards will be sent out every first week as well. If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message or you can go to www.patreon.com/faq
Please do not feel obliged to give me anything in exchange for my songs, become a patron if you can, but if you can't, I will continue to make music whether or not you become a Patron, but I will be truly grateful if you can support and become a part of my musical journey. Thank you so much for your time. God bless you.