Luck and happenstance have made promoting Canadian artisans my new career. It’s a tough business to be in. I’m convinced that while talent and originality count, perseverance counts more. This is certainly the case for most artisans.
Artisans are important to our quality of life in Canada. They train and hire young makers when possible and help drive the economy through small, sustainable businesses. And they add beauty and creativity to the world around us every day
A key barrier to success for artisans is a lack of funding for promotion and growth. No matter how talented and productive you are, if your customers can’t find you, your business will fail.
That’s were Artisan Canada can help. I provide a place where artisans can be listed for free, including pictures of their work and links to their websites. I create content to draw potential customers to the site and get us ranked high in Google searches. Also, the more artisans that join Artisan Canada, the higher it climbs in Google search results. The higher it climbs in the search results, the more people will find the Artisans and their products.
It’s much easier for potential customers to look through one really good site then it is to search through thousands of individual sites. My vision for Artisan Canada is that it will become “the” place to go if you’re looking for artisans and their products. A place that is run for the benefit of artisans and their customers.
Why Support Artisan Canada?
- Because it is free for artisans to use – they can add themselves to the Artisan Canada Directory any time and edited their information as often as they like.
- Because it promotes sustainable livelihoods
- Because artisans help keep skills and knowledge from being lost
- Because artisans take on apprentices, teach and provide jobs
- Because handmade things are so much better quality, and nicer to use, than impersonal, mass-produced things.
What do I need your support for?
- To promote the website through PR and advertising, so more people will find it, and find the artisans
- To add more quality content such as video interviews with artisans and demonstrations of their work
- To grow the directory by reaching out to more artisans to join
- To improve the directory – make it more beautiful and even easier to use
- To add the ability for Artisans to sell products right on the website
- To promote, promote, promote – newspapers, magazines, radio, Internet – get the word out about artisans across Canada and the quality products they make
- To have our own shows, exhibits and pop-up shops