The Chicago Doctor Who Meetup celebrates both new and classic Doctor Who through watching episodes, holding socials, encouraging cosplay, writing, and other fan activities. We've been around since 2008, but we've seen huge growth in the last four years. On November 23rd, 2013, 250 Meetup members attended the live screening of Day of the Doctor on the show's 50th anniversary. We hold monthly events at a north side comic shop, a cafe on the south side, and regular social gatherings. We've held Meetups at C2E2 and Chicago TARDIS...but planning great experiences takes time, effort, and resources.
And we're looking to expand.
We want to create experiences that strengthen the Chicago Doctor Who fan community. Chicago holds a very special place in the history of Doctor Who fandom (after all, we saw The Five Doctors in 1983 before England did), and we believe that our Meetup community should better reflect the diversity of this city. We also want to stay true to our core belief: we are an inclusive, grassroots, nonprofit community that serves as ambassadors for Doctor Who fandom and encourage further exploration, creation and appreciation of the franchise.
So to the brass tacks: where will donations go? Here's a list of current and future expenses:
- Pay our twice-a-year hosting bill on Meetup.com
- Purchase portable speakers and projector for future screenings
- Acquire amenities for attendees (such as purchasing food, beverages, etc)
- Purchase Incentives for current/potential volunteers
- Rent larger halls/venues for events
- Transportation for members to attend events in the suburbs