Cosmic Skepticis creating the Cosmic Skeptic YouTube channel and Podcast
Hey thanks! You're officially a patron of CosmicSkeptic, and will receive an appreciative virtual hug. You'll also receive:
- Early access to videos and podcasts, before they go live to the rest of the world
- Access to my patron-only feed, and to the Patreon message function, allowing you to contact me directly through Patreon
- Thoughts and prayers directed personally towards you every time I visit church.
Thank you for your generosity. At this level, you will receive:
- The above, plus:
- The ability to vote on upcoming video topics.
- The ability to view patron-only update videos, which I will sometimes upload to update you on the state of the channel and my personal life.
I'm flattered and grateful for your support. At this level you will receive:
- All the above, plus:
- The ability to submit questions to, and to watch, a live patron-only Google Hangout every three months.
About Cosmic Skeptic
Information: what Patreon is, how to use it, and why I use it:
What is this?
If you're here, then thank you. To even consider supporting my YouTube channel on Patreon is an immense compliment, and an immense help. Patreon is a crowdfunding service that allows you to pledge any level of monetary support to my channel, such as $1 every time I upload a video. You can also set limits, for instance by pledging $1 per upload, for a maximum of 2 videos per month. If you'd prefer to make a one-off donation, that can be done here: http://www.paypal.me/cosmicskeptic.
Donations are made on a 'per-video' basis, but if you'd prefer to support the channel on a monthly basis, you can simply limit your pledge to one payment per month.
Patrons are entitled to a variety of so-called 'rewards', such as handwritten letters, personalised video messages, Skype calls, and Google Hangouts. Also, all of my patrons, at all levels, immediately have the ability to message me directly through Patreon, and all have early access to my content. See the column to your right for more information.
All of the online content which I make is (and always will be) free to consume, which has the natural benefit of keeping everything I do accessible, but is unfortunately rather unsustainable without some monetary support. Patreon offers an opportunity for kind individuals to provide such support to content-creators in a purely voluntary and extremely trustworthy fashion, and revenue from Patreon is far more organic and personal than traditional forms of revenue such as advertising and sponsorships. If you wish to help me improve both the quality and quantity of my content, you can become a patron and directly influence its improvement.
Where Your Money Goes
There are significant costs to consider with regards to filming videos and producing podcasts which may not all be obvious. I want to be as transparent as possible, so listed below are the main ways in which your support directly sustains the channel:
- Equipment: this includes cameras, microphones, lighting, acoustic paneling, computer equipment, editing software, studio furniture, books for research, et cetera. My recent launch of the new podcast required an entire podcast studio to be set up, as one example.
- Rent: I have recently leased a professional studio space (which would have been impossible without my patrons), allowing me to invite podcast guests and avoid the disruptions I previously faced working from home. Oxford is the least affordable place to live in the UK, so rent is not cheap.
- Business expenses: this includes subscription-based services such as Adobe Creative Cloud, domain names and web hosting, podcast hosting, as well as regular expenses such as insurance and accountancy.
- Travel expenses: whilst sometimes my travel costs can be covered when I appear at events, other times I have to fund myself. This can range from train tickets to plane tickets (such as my appearance at Faithless Forum in Dallas, an event worth supporting), and includes the day-to-day cost of travelling to and from the studio. When I have podcast guests in the studio, I also need to arrange for them to get there. All of this travelling results in new content which invariably ends up on YouTube, and thus directly supports the channel.
- Me: I previously had to work in retail whilst running my YouTube channel in order to sustain myself. Thanks to my patrons, I was able to leave that job and invest the time I would have spent there into producing videos. I'm also currently a student, and so I have a student loan to pay off.
Of course, I am immensely privileged to own any of the things mentioned above, and I would continue to create videos even if I had the most unimpressive equipment and resources imaginable. But having more time, more resources and more opportunities is allowing the channel to grow more than I ever could have imagined, and so if you want to be able to consider yourself a vital asset to any of its successes, Patreon offers an easy, safe and personal way to become one. I want to restate, without my patrons, none of this would have been possible.
How It Works
If you’d like to become a patron, first and foremost, thank you! You are the reason I am able to continue doing what I love, and I am tremendously appreciative of your support. In order to pledge, you will firstly need to create an account. If you haven’t done so already, you will prompted to do so during the following steps:
- Click ‘Become a patron’.
- Choose the amount you wish to pledge. (Pledges are on a ‘per video’ basis, so if you would like to set a limit to your monthly contributions, you can do at the confirmation stage.)
- At this point you will be prompted to sign up if you are not already logged in. You can do so via Facebook or by entering an email address.
- You will land on the confirmation page, where you can set monthly limits to your contribution and review your pledge. (If you wish to use PayPal instead of a credit card, this is also where you can connect your account.)
- Click ‘Confirm and Pledge’ - a box will appear on the screen where you can enter your card information (if you have not connected a PayPal account). Click ‘Pledge’ and you are now officially a patron of CosmicSkeptic!
- You now have immediate access to the messaging function, and so can message me here on Patreon. Once you have been a patron for one month, and your first payment has cleared, you are immediately entitled to the 'reward' of your pledge tier. Simply send me a message confirming that you'd like it in order to receive your reward (this does not apply to the book draw, for which you are automatically entered). Thank you!
- If you pledge $30 or higher (thanks again!), you will be asked to provide a delivery address. This is purely for the purpose of mailing rewards and will not be shared in any way or used for any other purpose.
- If you have any problems or concerns, such as wanting clarification regarding how Patreon works, please send an email to [email protected]
I am of course greatly thankful for any donation you may be willing to make, no matter how small. However, please note that if supporting my channel poses so much as a minimal financial strain upon you, even in the slightest capacity, my appeal for support is not directed at you. Please save your money, and perhaps support the channel through other (equally important) means, such as by sharing its videos and engaging with its comment sections.
Thank you for your consideration.