Jonathan Thomas-Palmer

is creating Physics Education

Select a membership level

$1
per month
The $1 reward means you get to know you are supporting Flipping Physics!!
$2
per month
The $2 reward is approximately twice as rewarding as the $1 reward. Sadly, due to the lack of more than 1 significant digit, we can only estimate it to be roughly twice as rewarding. Perhaps to you, it's actually 2.49 times as rewarding!
$3.15
per month
More rewarding than pi.

138

patrons

$745

per month

About

Flipping Physics is a one-employee company dedicated to providing free, entertaining and real physics educational videos for anyone to use to learn physics and, more specifically, for teachers to use to flip their students’ learning. In the “flipped” classroom, students view lectures on-line and at home so that in-class time can be devoted to hands-on, project-based, and engaged learning. Feel free to enjoy a video which shows the differences between a flipped and a traditional class.

Most online educational videos are a PowerPoint presentation with a voice over. Flipping Physics instead has an actual teacher with three students who are learning the material with the viewer. (I play the teacher and all three students.) This creates a situation where questions are asked and answered, mistakes are made and corrected, and concepts are repeated by a different speaker in a slightly different way to help with understanding. There are also many real world scenarios shown and analyzed. For example, I rode my bicycle off a dock into a lake to show the force of impact on a helmet, I used a quadcopter drone for an aerial view of two cars to introduce relative motion, I used a catapult to show projectile motion, I did a magic trick to help students understand inclines, I wrote a song about energy, and I rode on a skateboard to demonstrate frames of reference. This creates a real, immersive and entertaining experience that far exceeds a PowerPoint presentation.

The truth is, because making quality videos like these takes so much time, I give up roughly three-fifths a teacher's salary annually in order to be Flipping Physics. That's right, I am in the classroom only part-time. Your support is what pays the rest of my salary and helps me teach physics worldwide.
Goals
$745 of $1,463 per month
This would cover the health insurance premiums for my family. Something I would not have to pay for if I were a full-time teacher. However, if I were a full-time teacher, I would not have the time to make videos which educate the world for free. Here is where the number comes from. Because I am 40% of a full time teacher, my family has to pay for the remaining 60% of the health insurance premiums. During 2019 we paid $17,550.75 for our health insurance premiums. Monthly that works out to be $1,462.56. To be clear, my family does have health insurance, however, it is only because we pay out of pocket for it, something we would not have to do if I were a full-time teacher.
5 of 5
By becoming a patron, you'll instantly unlock access to 20 exclusive posts
1
Image
1
Link
2
Writings
16
Videos
By becoming a patron, you'll instantly unlock access to 20 exclusive posts
1
Image
1
Link
2
Writings
16
Videos

Recent posts by Jonathan Thomas-Palmer

How it works

Get started in 2 minutes

Choose a membership
Sign up
Add a payment method
Get benefits