The Hubris Heraldis creating Satirical News & Opinion
You are a member of the intellectual vanguard of the HH community. You expect, and deserve, to receive information before it is disseminated to the proletariat. Accordingly, you will have access to each article published by HH at least two weeks before it is published for general consumption. This will enable you to make accurate predictions about news to your friends, and, therefore, substantiate rumors of your omniscience.
Here's your chance to buy yourself into dignitary status. You will receive classified "briefings" on the state of operations at HH Headquarters by way of email cables. You will also be counseled when we need "on the ground" intelligence as fodder for new articles. You will receive discounts on select HH luxury merchandise, likely manufactured in communist China, that is made possible through generous subsidizes by working-class customers of HH for your ordinary and necessary consumption.
You're not just a dignitary, but an active participant in forming truths. In addition to receiving classified briefings and enjoying all privileges of Apparatchiks and Ambassadors, you'll command a seat among fellow Propaganda Ministers at the Ministry of Truth, a private subreddit, where you'll exercise enhanced influence in decisions on public messaging and collude on shady agendas. Of course, with reward comes responsibility. We expect you'll do your best to surveil and control the expression of opinions concerning HH on social media within your sphere of influence, and dispense punishment to the undesirables when appropriate.
About The Hubris Herald
Hubris Media, Inc., headquartered in Michigan, is the owner of The Hubris Herald ("HH"), a satirical news and opinion blog founded in May 2019. Check us out at www.HubrisHerald.com. Although our articles tend to satirize the excesses of the political left (at this moment in time, identity politics and neo-Marxism provide the most fertile ground for material), we don't have a partisan agenda. Our goal is purely to provoke inquiry - and where necessary, ridicule - by illuminating the absurdity of certain socio-political beliefs and behaviors increasingly prevalent in the United States. In this regard, we are guided by the words of the French poet Jean de Santeul (1630-97), who coined the phrase "castigat ridendo mores" (humor corrects morals). Humor, we believe, liberates us from the taboos that impair evidenced-based reasoning, the lack of which is the active ingredient in all civilization-eroding fanaticism.
Our authors are diverse not just in race, ethnicity, and sex, but, more importantly, in philosophical views. Among them are professors, homemakers, corporate executives, law enforcement personnel, professional satire writers, and best-selling book authors. All of them contribute articles to HH on a freelance basis. We would love to eventually hire full-time staff writers, and with your financial support, that is a realistic possibility.
How We Plan to Financially Sustain HH For the Long-Term.
Like many news/satire sites, we'll accept some advertising on our website and sell basic merchandise (e.g., apparel, themed calendars, bounded compilations of articles), but those revenue sources alone will not come close to funding high quality content or the other expenses detailed below. Truth be told, we kind of hate having to advertising on our site. We're annoyed by ads as much as you. Moreover, there's something intellectually incongruent with ads on a site devoted to excellent writing, but such is life. Trust us, the moment we can free ourselves of those chains, we will. In the meantime, please bear with us.
So... that leaves donors like you. Your donations will be our primary means of financial sustainability over the life of this endeavor.
What We'll Use the Money For.
Our initial goal is $10,000 per month from all revenue sources. Realistically, if that number is achieved, it will almost all be from Patreon donors. Here's what we'll use it for:
- Hosting. We'll need a robust hosting plan that allows for dramatic spikes in traffic when new articles are published and/or when "influencers" direct their followers to our site. Or when a when a leftist Twitter mob launches a denial-of-service attack. You know how that goes.
- Email service. The fee to email posts to our subscribers will increase as the subscriber list grows.
- Ongoing website maintenance and development. If you've ever run a website on a commercial scale, you know that glitches constantly occur. You didn't see any reference to "programmers" in the description of authors above. Well, none of us is a programmer or web developer. That means we have to pay for that stuff. In case you haven't noticed, those folks tend to make a tad more than writers! When we're not solving glitches, we'll be adding new features to the site. For example, videos and podcasts would be a terrific compliment to the written content.
- Our own advertising. Ugh, here we go with the advertising again. We'll have to hold our noses and do some advertising of our own to generate the traffic we'll need to justify the expenditures of your hard-earned money. Most of our advertising dollars will be spent through social media channels, until we can afford a Super Bowl ad.
- Our authors' fees. Of course, this is the single largest expense we now have and will ever have. Unlike the foregoing expenses, we love to pay our authors, and hope we can pay more of them, and in higher amounts, to continue to acquire the very best satire content for your enjoyment.