What is InRange TV?
InRange is a regular weekly online video program that examines guns, shooting, and gun culture through a lens of historic perspective. Are you tired of seeing video after video after video on some new style of AR15 rail system or Glock grip plug? If that has gotten old and boring, then InRange might be the show for you. InRange TV will introduce you to gear that is different and interesting, and will tell you if it's actually worth a hoot or not. We will do real testing on real products. We will dispel the myths, promote the good stuff that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, and tell you when the latest thing on glossy magazine covers is actually crap. Does that sound better than yet another review of a Century AK?
Who are you, anyway?
Karl is a lifelong shooter who has excelled in a wide variety of shooting disciplines. His credentials include:
- 10 years of NRA High Power and related rifle matches (including multiple trips to Camp Perry and 28 accumulated leg points)
- 3 years second-place in Arizona Cowboy Action shooting (Frontier Cartridge Duelist)
- 10 years organizing and running the Tucson 2-Gun Action Challenge Match
- Too many tactical training class certifications to list
Ian is a hopeless gun nerd best known for his work editing and curating the Forgotten Weapons web site and video channels. If you have heard of a gun, chances are pretty good that he knows how it works and can tell you anything you want to know about it. Ian's shooting foundation is in smallbore bullseye pistol, but what he enjoys most is running obscure and long-obsolete firearms in practical competition settings.
How is InRange TV Better?
InRange is better because of both what it does have and what it doesn't have. For example, we do NOT have:
- BS product shilling - if we say it's good, it's because we genuinely think so, and not because they paid us.
- Dumb exploding targets - we have all seen binary explosives inside watermelons or whatever, and we're tired of it.
- Zombies - although it seems like the zombie craze is pretty much over now, thank goodness.
- Drama - cable TV gun programs all seem to thrive on obnoxious fake drama that we hate.
And what DO we have to take up the void?
- Honest, non-nonsense reviews. No strings and no artificial loyalties.
- Deep knowledge of our subject matter. If some new product is actually a rehash of something from the a hundred years ago, we will notice.
- A willingness to butcher sacred cows. So many myths have been perpetuated by the gun media over the decades, and we revel in the opportunity to break them wide open.
Why is InRange Worth Supporting?In order to run this program right, we need to maintain our freedom from gun industry financing. We can't be dependent on corporate sponsorship or maintaining corporate goodwill to ensure a supply of demo guns. Instead, we have to be able to buy things ourselves to properly and honestly wring them out - and that takes money.
We have been running InRange TV for a year now, and experimented with a couple different financing methods, all of which have turned out a bit lackluster. We tried a paywall, and we tried online video advertising. We hope that a micropayment model like Patreon will prove to be the secret ingredient that allows the program to flourish. And if it does, we will feed the benefits right back to you, our supporters!