Lily Kunning, Community Herbalist & Activistis creating community supported herbalism & activism.
Select a membership level
$1 a month may not seem like much, but when the community teams up it can help a LOT! (Did you know most Patreon folks get the bulk of their support at $1-2 a month levels? It's true- those small gifts mean a whole lot).
At this level you'll get:
1. blog access and notifications.
(Any time I have an update on my work, you'll know. I love interacting with my Patrons, so please leave comments and questions!)
$2 a month may not seem like much, but when the community teams up it can help a LOT! (Did you know most Patreon folks get the bulk of their support at $1-2 a month levels? It's true- those small gifts mean a whole lot).
At this level you'll get:
1. blog access and notifications
2. a shout out on Beyond Theory.
I love being able to name folks supporting my work- so your first name and city & state will be mentioned on the show!
Wow! I really appreciate your $5 per month and will send you some herbal goodies to show how much. (Please PM me with your shipping address.)
At this level you'll get:
1. access and notifications about my blog
2. a shout out on Beyond Theory
3. a care package of herbal goodness.
I have built several projects since I moved to Ohio in 2012 including a visible herbal presence, a brick and mortar shop, a worker owned company, an indie media broadcast and podcast, an Herbalists Without Border chapter that runs monthly clinics and more projects, a fledgling democratic school, and a non-profit organization that will work to preserve folkways and botanical medicine's legacy for future generations. I want to do more and with your help, I can!
Currently, I need your support to pay my activist bills, so I can continue doing this work- I have rent: a space for teaching, seeing clients, and running activist meetings. I have web hosting and podcast hosting bills. I need new equipment. Above and beyond those bills, I would love to quit side hustles and make amazing things happen in Columbus for a living. Every single person that give $1 or more a month helps me envision a better community and gives me the time to pursue the work to make it happen.
Here is what I currently do and want Patreon folks to support me in:
1. I run an Herbalists Without Borders Chapter and work with clients in the People's Clinic events. These are happen monthly, and wouldn't it be amazing to have them weekly? I need time to do outreach to practitioners, fundraise for supplies, reach out to community organizations to host us, and more. The chapter crowdsources supplies for blessing bags each month, runs an annual seed swap, herb swaps each year, and wants a community garden to grow medicine. We also want to start a people's apothecary with regular walk-in hours. The need is there- help fund it!
2. I record and publish a weekly radio broadcast/podcast called Beyond Theory, about prefigurative politics (building a new, better world in the shell of the old). It is about artists, activists, and organizers who do the work to make the world a better place. You can listen anywhere you subscribe to podcasts, or livestream it on WGRN.org on Fridays at 11 AM. I need to do more outreach, spend time getting it on the Pacifica network, get better equipment, get a travel budget, and purchase and maintain a website and social media presence (and that takes time and money).
3. I am leading and organizing with a wonderful group of folks on a new non-profit called Sassafras Ohio. We are working on several projects: an annual herb gathering, educational intensives, an oral history project, and an annual medicinal seedling sale. The org works to preserve botanical medicine, holistic education, and folkways for future generations. In 2020, we are teaming up with a skillshare called Reeds and Roots to program their botanical offerings. Elder is an oral history project of interviewing herbal elders and archiving their histories, case studies, protocols, and teachings on the Sassafras website. Plant Allies is a networking database for folks interested or related to botanical medicine that is under development.
4. I teach wellness classes 11 times a year at Cancer Support Community, a non-profit dedicated to helping cancer survivors. I would love to make that happen more often. I try and counter bad information about holistic topics on the internet and in classes (especially about essential oil use). Additionally, I try and make an impact though presentations to caregivers and affordable classes online: I have taught at the Ohio's Nurses Association's Wellness conference and created an online class on Essential Oil Safety.
5. I teach Ohio's next generation of herbalists. I have a foundational class for 18 months and advanced apprenticeships beyond that class in clinical and apothecary work (soon to include cultivation when I move to a farm!). I also do one-off workshops at conferences, in my classroom space, and for private groups. I keep my prices low to make them accessible to all, and offer payment plans, too.
7. I created a democratic school, still in its fledgling stages, called Liberigo. This school has a child-driven curriculum, teaches what real democracy is by active participation and immersion, and allows freedom of movement and choice to kids ages 5-18.
8. I am creating a database for barter and gift economies with an IT developer called Freedom Economy. Link coming soon!
9. And finally, Maiden Voyage: a feminist sex, body, and relationship education class. It launches January 2020 with an online class avail later in the year. It is feminist, science-based, consent oriented, diversity-minded, and body and sex positive.
There are so many ways I want these projects to expand, and I have a lot of other ideas to create and implement. Will you join me?
What else can I do with you support? Let's find out together. As these projects grow, building this Patreon will allow me to do more and gig for pay less. This community is thirsty for herbalism, activism, and change, and I want to be able to do this work.
You reading this is super exciting to me. If you partner with me, we will help the people of Columbus have more options, education, and herbalism. I truly believe that we (people and the plants) can change lives.
I publish my herb and activism blog here on Patreon- I intend on publishing all the exciting happenings as they happen. Partner with me to see amazing things begin to take form.