I love what my channel allows me to do and I genuinely enjoy sharing it with others and taking you there with me. Being able to entertain and aid viewers, teach and pass on lessons-learned over years of experience, inspire others through adventures, or even help to influence the evolution of action cameras in some small way - each of these elements acts as fuel to keep the passion burning and counterbalance the work involved in creating high-quality content that lives up to the demanding standards I've set for MarkHawkCam.
I love creating quality work, I want to keep pushing myself in that direction - be that through videos, coverage, websites, features, or whatever else drives me forward. I have an overflow of videos and edits tagged as"start some day" on my hard drive, and it pains me to not be able to find the time to address them.
What Patreon offers me is a way to turn to my audience and offer any of you an easy means to support and help fund coverage that I would otherwise mean sacrificing some of my livelihood for - to allow me spend those extra hours on quality content, rather then worrying about pushing out rushed coverage/comparisons for quicker viewership. The goal here is simply to continue doing what I love, and in the process, be supported by those who see the value in it . In turn, that support allows me to invest more of my time and gear back into those same creative passions, resulting in better work and more of it.
So what's in it for you?Patreon allows for perks to be given for certain donation quantities, defined by the creator. The idea is to give some fun little bonuses to people for contributing, and depending on the creator's style and the kind of content they create, this can take many interesting forms.
I've carefully considered what sort of milestones and perks I can reasonably offer. The 'constraining' factor is my desire to spread knowledge - which is to say, I'm loathe to create things that only a limited set of people are going to see. It's very hard for me to come up with these sorts of perks without compromising my vision in some way - either through a loss of sincerity or integrity, a restriction on the spread of knowledge or entertainment (such as with Patreon-only videos or content), or something equally undesired.
In light of this, I'm only offering a single perk option, aimed at people who donate $5/mo or more. I'll admit that right now there isn't much to write home about but it has potential to grow in time - you get access to a private feed that I don't have any specific plans for but will add some function in the future. I'd rather take this path than try to force perks that segments content from the community. As support increases, everyone will benefit from it through additional videos, more topics being covered, new concepts being experimented with, and so on.
In the event that I think of compelling perks that don't clash with my ideals, I'll reevaluate things in the future - but for now, this is the way we'll go. Hopefully everyone understands!
If there's something you'd like to propose as an additional perk or milestone, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] to suggest it! You know better than I do as to what you're looking for or would appreciate.
My intent is to produce more 'special' content, in addition to producing more of what I already create. Specifically, I see myself spending more time and bringing in outside talent to help produce things like:
- Continuing and adding to the Side by Side / Versus series.
- Continuing and adding to the Quicklook series. The ability to cover more is gated by what I can afford. More funding gives me more access to test gear that interest us and additional time to do it.
- New features. I have a long list of series I've wanted to start but would require additional time and funding.
- Extra production help work on features. Similar to some our coverage of the LETUS AnamorphX GoPro Lens, I'd like to bring in outside experts to help explain additional aspects of working with Action Cameras. I'd also like to pay these people for their knowledge and time with us.
- More Adventure Videos. Since most of MarkHawkCam is supported out of pocket, bringing in some outside revenue would a allow for more funds for fun and less overtime at my day job to pay for it
- Tutorials. Working in the VFX industry gives me a lot of exposure and access to creative talent. There are occasions where I intended produce tutorials with others but couldn't make it happen. If I bring in outside help I would want to see that they are paid well for their time and support appropriately. I also have a few lessons planned and even filmed myself that just run into time constraints.
Those are the more concrete things I want to pursue. In addition to those, I have a few other ideas such as a website, public events, and conventions but I'll flesh these out more and go into it at later point in time.
Ok, sounds cool. How does this work?Patreon allows you to choose any arbitrary amount to donate, or use the pre-made perk tiers, with the default behavior being a recurring monthly subscription. If you'd like to do a one-time donation, you can simply go through the monthly option and cancel after a month - no strings attached.
If you choose to support me, all I ask is that you please do it for the right reasons . Don't expect to get preferential treatment regarding what I cover as a result, or have creative control over my channel and it's content, or anything like that - that isn't what this is about.
This is my passion and you are a huge part of it - I intend to continually drive myself to create better content, and this is a significant potential factor in how I can best achieve that. For those of you looking to chip in and contribute towards a sustainable way for me to create more and better content,thank you! I'm confident you won't be let down by the results.
As far as donations in general, feel free to do whatever you want - the $5/mo perk can be applied to any donation above that level. I had originally set goals to have $1/$5/$15/$25/$50 perk options, but instead, simply pick whatever's comfortable to you.