What is Patreon? "Think of it as a recurring tip jar to support the work of creators you love."
The patron tiers are suggested levels where you receive rewards from me, but you can choose whatever you're comfortable with. At the end of the month, Patreon will charge you. You can edit your pledge to another tier or cancel entirely at any time--this is not an eternal commitment! :)
WHO I AM
I am Olivia Hennis, aka Ollie, a queer nonbinary neurodiverse writer, artist, always-learning feminist, and former podcaster intent on clawing my way out of poverty one fictional work at a time. My short stories have been included in YA Magazine, Unfading Daydreams, and Pacific Review.
HOW WE GOT HERE
In October 2016, a dear old friend asked if I had a Patreon and I've been going strong ever since!
I've lived basically my whole life with a plethora of health issues that make a steady life harder than if I were neurotypical. Despite abuse, homelessness, poverty, and trauma, I've survived, struggling to stay on my feet at every turn. The mental + physical issues mean I often need to make choices that center my health over my wallet--for better or for worse.
At the end of 2016, I faced down a second period of homelessness. Many kind friends and strangers helped to ensure that the time was much shorter than before, and I'm forever humbled. I hoped to settle in Philadelphia, where work was said to be plentiful and I could surely rent a little studio to continue my writing and keep my cat.
Things... didn't go as planned or in ways that were good for my needs: I was in Philly, but renting with 3 - 5+ strangers; I was working but at a physically demanding low wage job. With little mental bandwidth leftover for chasing what really matters, like writing and mental health help, that's where this Patreon came in!
In January 2018, I relocated outside of the city. Work that isn't low-income + physically demanding is still hard to come by for someone like me, so I'm grateful for the continued support and encouragement I receive from my patrons. <3
WHERE WE'RE GOING
To supplement my income in small ways, I use Patreon to monetize my creative skills. Your funding keeps a little food in my cabinet and helps me keep a much safer living situation! Ultimately, I produce better, more interesting, more steady art like this. ;)
In exchange, you receive notifications of my self-publications and other projects; plus monthly rewards!
WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO
- Exclusive digital cat photographs with monthly personal life update
- Your name included in the Thanks section of published work
- Monthly original fiction
- Early access cover reveals
- Snippets of old stories
- Monthly Q&A options
The short fiction is a first look before they hit the circuit for zines, anthologies, or self-publishing! Stories are always 500+ words. (They average 1200, but have hit 2000-6000 in the past.) These may be completed short stories, a few chapters, really rough drafts, or polished pieces!
Don't worry: if the amount you donate becomes a tier later, you will qualify for that tier automatically.
Again, thank you for even considering becoming my patron. I truly, deeply appreciate that you stopped by!
Want to jump to the short stories? Become a Story tier patron then click this link here: Iron Garden short stories
$0.99 each on Amazon
with beautiful cover art by Cyna Martinez
IRON GARDEN series: The world as we know it is not our own. The Iron Garden's secrets will be known.
- A Taste of Faerie (On his way to a party with stolen alcohol, a young man makes a most unfortunate acquaintance.) 5300 words
- How She Got Those Scars (Two fae women in love, a treacherous faerie Queen, and a secret worth killing for.) 2200 words
- Stumble Twist & Crawl (Boston, 1988. When Kellogg met Biyamalin. Blood drinkers, punk rock, and rats.) 1500 words
- Cherry (Cherry is shocked that the Unseelie would take out their mistake on her friend. After all, she was there that night and knows what really happened.) 4400 words
- Lenore (Lenore knows that the fae communities' most vulnerable are an easy fall guy. But even she's stunned when they target her chosen family for an empty display of justice.) 4500 words
- Kyle (Disillusioned with life as an Unseelie pawn, all of Kyle's choices seem destined for failure. But in the Black Apple’s underworld, who’s got time for a midlife crisis?) 6000 words
CURRENT PATREON-EXCLUSIVE SHORT STORIES
- Life Is Your Creation (NYC, 1997. When Tassia met Darcy. All the beauty and blood the night has to offer.) Prologue - Chapter 5 of ?, 4900 words
- Ghosts in the Making (Working for Unseelie special ops, a guardian angel struggles to pass her commanding officer's unwinnable tests.) 3900 words
- The Velvet Ribbon (A queer retelling of THE GIRL WITH THE GREEN RIBBON from the antagonist's point of view.) 2500 words
- Rotten in the Bones (At a Halloween party he didn't want to attend, Nik's vices may be all that saves him while his friends fall apart.) 2100 words
- The Attention Just Encourages Her (Paula wanted two simple things this New Year's Eve: get to the comic store and stay human. She's already failed at one.) Chapters 1 - 8 + Epilogue, 25,800 words
- Right Hand Burns (Burnsy and Galen decide to stay later in the Black Apple Promise, and surely nothing could go wrong with that.) Chapters 1 & 2 of ?, 2600 words
- Paper Moon (A slice of life as The Assistant Librarian shares several secrets with Ted, despite herself.) 5900 words
- Mad in the Blood (What's Paula up to fifteen years later? Not anything illegal, I'm sure...) Prologue & Chapter 1 of ?, 3200 words