What is Psych2Go?Psych2Go started as a tumblr blog in 2015 to share concise psychology facts. In just over a year they gained over 500,000 followers. As Psych2Go grew people wanted more indepth information about psychology, and so their website was born to provide this (Psych2Go.net). Now, we have a good network of varying platforms, including YouTube and our Mental Health Recovery project. Overall, Psych2Go has 3 main aims :-
- to provide a platform for our fans to voice their thoughts
- to nurture aspiring psychologists
- to supplement brief fact memes so people can learn more about the field of psychology.
When discussing how to grow Psych2Go a number ideas were discussed. One that really excited us was put forward by our now Editor-in-Chief, Teresa. This was the idea of a magazine. We developed this idea more, and decided the magazine should be quarterly, so we could put a lot of work into ensuring it was high quality. We decided to have set areas of psychology we covered each issue, to make sure there is something for everyone. These areas are music psychology, personality psychology, Psych in the News, exploring mental health, animal psychology, significant person with mental health issues, projective psychology, LGBT psychology, child psychology, neuropsychology, career tips, social psychology, special needs and creative witing. Each issue would also have an awareness topic, as raising awareness to different psychological issues is very important to us. As well as top quality articles, we decided to have artwork made for each article, so the magazine is visually appealing to.
What is the Psych2Go Magazine?
We didn't just want our staff to be creating the magazine, and so we decided to have plenty of opportunities for community submissions as well. We take submissions in terms of writing, photography, and art pieces. We also include an advice column in each issue.
Currently there are 9 issues sold through our store psych2go.shop - and you can read some reviews from our fans below.
We have three main aims for the magazine:-
- to provide accessible psychological knowledge. Often academic articles on psychology aren't easy to read, and so we want to present good research in a simple way.
- to raise awareness for important topics. Often, certain issues around psychology that are important don't receive the attention they deserve. This is a very important part of our mission to us.
- to give people work experience. In today's world work experience in your given field is more important than ever. This can be a challenge for many as competition in psychology is so high. We want to offer such like opportunities for work experience, as staff or as community submissions.
Whats in it for you?
There are many different tiers of rewards for pledgers - for all budgets - which you can check out on this page. But what else will you get by pledging?
- Firstly, you'll be helping out a small, growing business. At the heart of our company is being accessible and so you know you're supporting an inclusive company, who want to reach many people and offer different people opportunities, and you will be directly funding this.
- You'll also be supporting a unique magazine, which isn't just aimed at academics, and is actually aimed at anyone with an interest in psychology. A magazine which will teach you about psychology from a unique, international perspective. A lot of the writers only write for our magazine, and you wont find the articles anywhere else.
- Furthermore as already said we are committed to raising awareness, and so your support will help us amplify that awareness to more people. So your pledge will be going towards supporting really important issues and causes, and as part of the Patreon group YOU can have an input into what causes we raise awareness for. We will bring knowledge and information to a wide audience about these topics, and you can feel pride knowing you've helped us be able to do that.
- Psych2Go is an amazing community of people, who love discussion and helping each other. We will have a group specifically for Patreons, and so you will be part of this amazing community, which will be ever growing. You can expand your knowledge, gain helpful insights, and connect with people all over the world in this group. Finally, you will have the eternal gratitude of our entire team!
What are our goals?
- Our most important goal is to be able to pay all our staff. Currently, everyone works as a volunteer, however we want to show our appreciation for our staff work and being able to pay them would be one way of doing this. If our staff feel appreciated they will be able to continue to ensure the finished product you see, as in the finished magazine, is of a high quality.
- We also want to be able to buy 50 copies per issue, to sell through our online store. This will help us increase our readership, which will spread our message further. As we mentioned above two major things we want to achieve is to create a community, and to spread our message particularly in terms of raising awareness about the topics we all feel passionate about. A wider readership will help us to achieve this, and so issues you care about would reach more people.
- Ideally, we'd be able to buy 100 copies per issue, to possibly try and sell in stores as well, increasing our readership even further. Creating a community around the magazines we make is very important to us. The more people we reach, the more can join our community, and in turn the more would be able to help with your goals and your dreams. Working together to raise each other up is at the core of our ethics, and the more of us who can help each other, the more we can achieve.
- Finally, we'd like to have a budget for advertising, to ensure we can spread awareness through every medium available to us. As we mentioned above, we take community submissions which are open from people of all levels of education. Having a large readership will mean these pieces reach far more people, and so you could use these opportunities to have your work seen by thousands of people (potentially!).