What Is Sponge?The purpose of the Sponge project is to create a plugin development framework for Minecraft. Sponge is being created by a global community, and its open-source nature means anyone can participate.
Sponge was created after seeing the failures of other projects in the Minecraft plugin development community. We are trying to avoid making the same mistakes as other projects; thus:
- Sponge is an extremely open project.
- Sponge is licensed under the MIT license - an extremely permissive open source license.
- Performance is of high priority.
We have two other projects in addition to the Sponge API:
- SpongeForge, a coremod for Minecraft Forge, which is an existing Minecraft modding framework famous for spurring the Minecraft modding scene. Forge lacks a cross-version API, and this is where Sponge steps in. Sponge allows server owners to deploy Sponge plugins with ease, making server management easier.
- SpongeVanilla, a stand-alone implementation of the Sponge API, running on top of the vanilla Minecraft server. (SpongeVanilla was formerly known as Granite, until the development teams merged).
The Sponge API is not tied to any platform. This means that server owners can run Sponge plugins on any official implementation of the Sponge API. Sponge plugins should function identically on either implementation, due to the common functionality of mixins.
A full list of staff members is located at here.
Our developers are well-versed with Java, and many of them have worked with Minecraft for years and know the ins-and-outs of its mechanics. There are tons of very good developers working on the Sponge project, and it would be nearly impossible to list all of them!