This Is Darknessis creating Articles, Reviews, Interviews, Concert Reports, Music Charts
Select a membership level
Apprentices of Darkness
This is the least one can do to help out through Patreon. There are no benefits for this or any other tier, yet. It is hard enough to keep the site running smoothly as one person, and it's not right to dedicate a ton of time to delivering exclusive content to 2-5 people. If/when our number of Patrons grows and we begin to have the time, money and staff to work on special things for Patrons we will be delighted to do this for you, and our Patreon site will be overhauled accordingly.
Adepts of Darkness
For this tier, patrons can know that their support is making a real difference in helping to keep the site up and running, and allowing extra money to be spent on ads, which will help to grow the genre as a whole.
About This Is Darkness
The focus of This Is Darkness is to create and share content which will be of particular interest to dark ambient fans. This doesn’t mean we will only cover the music.
- We do reviews of music, books, games, films, and television shows. Anything that will interest our followers.
- We have a news segment, which covers all the latest happenings around the dark ambient scene.
- We create mixes. Some of which focus on specific styles of music, while others focus on holidays, seasons, or other relevant topics.
- We are working on adding contributors, creating huge exclusive compilations, starting a writer's corner, and many other features.
- While the site is geared toward the dark ambient community, it is also attempting to help expand this community. By including material about more mainstream artists like David Lynch and Lars von Trier, we look to bring an ever increasing influx of new listeners to the site and the genre as a whole.
This Is Darkness started up with the help of a few great friends, but we need to keep things running. We need every little bit of help we can get to keep this thing moving, keep growing in exposure, size, and breadth of features!
I say we, but this thing has been run 99% by Michael Barnett. I have the time to create content and listen to hundreds of albums because I am on disability. Physical pain and mental anxiety hinder me quite often along the way. I more frequently have $0 in my bank account by the end of the month than not. I’ve been running This Is Darkness for several years, and worked with Terra Relicta and briefly with Heathen Harvest before I started TiD. I do this because it is my true love, and I truly believe there is A LOT of room for the genre's audiences to grow! But it is hard, there are a lot of days I don’t do as much as I’d like. Being unable to afford psychiatrist visits and prescriptions any longer, I quit my anxiety meds ‘cold-turkey’ a few months ago. I’m still feeling the mental reverberations from that… So if you don’t see anything from me in a particular week, you can assume that things were/are extra intense and I’ll be back to normal again soon, as I’ve proved over the years