Alexandra Rowlandis creating narratives which may be extravagant and unlikely
Ah, darlings, you are my guiding light. At this tier, you get my sincere thanks, as well as monthly writing updates about whatever I've been working on, and a free, unpublished short story when you subscribe!
The backstage VIP pass of tiers! At this tier you get posts about:
- What I'm Working On
- Unpublished short story
- Deleted scenes from extant works, discussion of drastically changed plotlines, and other interesting tidbits
At this tier, I'm making new things! Who knows what you might get? Worldbuilding trivia about the setting of the Chant books? A writing how-to? Educational rants about something fun? Smutty fanfic? Whatever it is, it'll be cool.
- A cool new thing, never before seen!
- and all previous tier rewards
About Alexandra Rowland
Hello!I'm Alexandra Rowland, author of A CONSPIRACY OF TRUTHS, A CHOIR OF LIES, and some amusing twitter threads. I'm also a Hugo Award finalist as one of the cohosts of Be The Serpent (a podcast of extremely deep literary merit).
I would dearly love to be a full-time writer. However, my career isn't yet in a place where I can sustainably afford to do that -- right now, I've got several side gigs which are getting me just shy of breaking even on monthly bills and I'm dipping into my savings to cover the rest. With your support, darling patron, I won't have to get a new dayjob! That means I'll have time to create more things, travel to more cons, write more books, record more awesome podcasts, and repair my house (it's old and bits of it are falling off). And, let's be honest, do all that while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and having time to read, shower, and eat things besides ramen!
If you've experienced many of my works, you can probably guess that I have a fairly interactive philosophy around storytelling and the relationship between the storyteller and their audience. I think there is a space between "I write only for myself and I don't owe my readers anything" and "My audience's demands outweigh my own creative decisions". I'd like to explore what lives in that space and whether there's an equilibrium to be found there, because as much as I am writing for myself, I am also not so arrogant as to claim that I don't care at all what my audience is hungry for. I think stories have an enormous power to bring us closer together, to connect us across years (or decades, or even centuries). Cross my palm with silver and I'll tell you some really good ones.
Some of the stories or story-adjacent things you can expect from me include but are not limited to:
- Extra worldbuilding details about the setting of Conspiracy of Truths and Choir of Lies (and all the rest of my current projects -- they're all set in the same world!)
- Deleted scenes -- things that didn't quite fit, or that got taken out, or vastly rewritten
- Annotated scenes -- sometimes I write a thing that's full of references and hints that only I get, and then I writhe in agony knowing that no one will ever know. Be my captive audience so I can nerdily explain the jokes so exhaustively that they're not funny anymore.
- Smutty fanfic about my own characters.
- Sneak peeks of upcoming books
- and more!