Actor's Toolboxis creating workshops for actors from poor socio-economic backgrounds in RSA
Select a membership level
- Your yearly contribution will sponsor one participant. Receive a personal video from the participant you sponsored
- Be listed as one of our funders on our website
- Receive a quarterly newsletter to follow our journey and see the fruit of your contributions
The Actor's Toolbox saw the light in 2016 when Chanelle de Jager & Martin Venter teamed up with various industry professionals in South Africa to bridge the gap between tertiary education and building a career.
After hosting multiple workshops, the Actor's Toolbox is now a registered NPO and PBO whose objective is to provide training, guidance, and tools to aspiring actors and creatives, which will equip them and give them the skills to launch and sustain their careers by inter alia:
- Drawing upon the skills of successful artists with established careers to train, guide, and nurture young actors and creatives from poor socio-economic communities;
- Opening doors to opportunity for employment by providing networks;
- Ensuring that the standard of the training is up to date with the current industry standards; and
- Giving those who cannot afford formal education in the creative field free access to workshops, training, and support.
One of the Actor's Toolbox' key-programmes is an intensive 5-day workshop where our focus is on managing the expectations of actors on a realistic level and providing guidance, skills, and 'tools' within all aspects of the entertainment and media industry.
With the guidance of 12 industry professionals, this 5-day course will equip future creatives with a toolbox that can be utilized throughout their budding careers:
- Acting Mediums
- Script Variations
- Acting Techniques
- Casting & Self tapes
- Agents and Rates
- Set Etiquette
- Creating your own Brand
- Managing your Brand
- Project Management
- Freelance Tax & Finance
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Creating your own Work
- SAGA (Actor's Guild)
- Headshots & Showreels
The showreels and headshots created during the workshop is sent to reputable agents to get placed with an acting agency that suits the participant's needs and personality.
Our mission is to host as many of these workshops every year to continue uplifting, empowering, and educating young creatives. In the future we are going to implement 4-day specific workshops in accents, improvisation, and casting. These workshops will be contributing to the self-sustainability of the Actor's Toolbox.
Please visit our website for more information.