What I Do
You're probably wondering -- what is "impactful music?" Simply put, it's any music that hits you somewhere deep -- evokes strong feelings in you.
For me, rock music is where it's at. It's passionate, intense and emotional. Particularly when it contains words I relate to. It's like having a best friend who knows what I'm going through.
Music helps me sail through rough seas. So when I make my own music, my dream is for it to be impactful to someone else. Music is my way of saying "hey, I'm with you" to someone who's hurting inside. If sad songs make you happy, you know what I'm talking about.
Now, to make impactful music, I need to work on my musicianship. You don't get moved to tears by someone stumbling through a few chords on a guitar. The writing has to be sharp (the script), the arrangements should be mature (stage direction), the performance needs to be expressive (the acting), and the production ought to bring out the goods (the editing/post-production). There is a lot to learn!
A wise person once said that the best way to learn is to teach. So I share what I learn. I share what I'm learning about making music, but I don't stop there -- I do the same with any insights about life. In fact, I'm a sucker for deep conversations about meaning of life and our well-being. All my favorite songs connect to me because they express something important in my life. For me to make music that do the same, I better learn life, too.
So, here are the types of things I do:
- I make my original music. Usually a guitar-driven rock song with introspective lyrics, either with my rock duo Minnasia (with my friend Voua 'Bob' Yang on lead vocals or on my own as Aristotle's Hope.
- I share what I learn about creating impactful music. Sometimes I analyze other artists' impactful works. Other times it's a tutorials on musicianship. I also try to make them accessible to non-musicians, as it can deepen your appreciation of music when you learn more about how it works.
- I promote impactful works by other artists, particularly indie artists. Most musicians know that music is powerful, but impactfully-minded artists are still rare. I get excited when I find others who have a similar outlook -- I can tell, even if they don't explicitly express them.
- I share what I learn about life, particularly insights and wisdom that help me navigate my life, or see it in a new, different light.
How We Can Help Each Other
I would like to invite you to be a part of my impactful music movement. Our mission is to create and spread impactful music to the world. For now, this means you become one of my close collaborators. What I share with the world, I'll share more of it with you. For example:
- I'll share with you songs that are in-progress. I'll invite you to listen / read / watch and give me feedback. Help me do what I do better, and I'll share extra music, articles, and videos with you.
- I'll seek your inputs into my content directions. You'll be able to help me choose songs and articles I write.
- I'll get more personal and vulnerable with you. I'll share with you thoughts and insights that I hesitate to release to public. They will be rawer and closer to home, and therein lies the potential to hit you deeper, too.
- If you introduce me to other impactful artists, or if you are (or aspire to be) an impactful artist yourself, I'll help spread the word about them/you. I have to be able to authentically stand behind these works by other artists, but I'm good at recognizing value and excellence, even if the work happens not to work for me personally. (After all, we don't make our own taste, we discover them)
- I'll make myself more available to you. I'm game for casual songwriting consultation or life coaching. You can ask me anything and I'll respond to the best of my ability.
Now, this kind of personal interaction is not really scalable -- I'm offering this because I'll forever be most grateful to the first 100 Patreons for joining my community when it is in its infancy. My intention is to keep a list of "First 100" Patreons and always treat you among the closest of my circles, and prioritize you the highest in terms of interactions, availability and collaborations. How much you give doesn't matter. I'm just looking for the kindred spirits who want to co-create with me, and to build an impactful music community together.
So, are you with me? If so, all I'm asking is $1 / month and a wee bit of your attention. That means the world to me.