ASHTAR Theatre in Palestineis creating Theatre
You are a friend of ASHTAR and we are grateful for your support. Your monthly contribution will cover free admission to an ASHTAR performance for a person in the local community.
Your contribution will cover a free ticket to a performance for person in the local community and the cost of printing materials. You will receive a shoutout on our Facebook and social media. Thank you for your support!
This donation will help us provide performances to marginalized communities throughout the West Bank and Gaza Strip. You will receive a shoutout on our Facebook and social media. Thank you for your support!
About ASHTAR Theatre in Palestine
Established in 1991 in Jerusalem as the first theatre training organization for youth in Palestine, by two prominent Palestinian actors, Edward Muallem and Iman Aoun, ASHTAR promotes creativity and commitment to change through a combination of performances, workshops and rigorous acting training programs for youth.
Our scope of work covers the West Bank and Gaza Strip. ASHTAR offers intensive theatre training programs for local students throughout the year, often resulting in performances on stage, but also equipping young Palestinians with essential skills that go beyond acting: An increased level of self-awareness and confidence, leadership, communication and teamwork skills. If an audience is unable to come to our main location in Ramallah, we move our stage to these often remote areas to include everyone.
Our Work at a Glance:
ASHTAR Theatre School
- Provides theatre training to the young people in the West Bank and Gaza
- Offers a 3 to 5 year acting/drama training certificate programs for young people (ages 12-22)
- Provides teacher (TOT) and facilitator training
- Produces the ASHTAR International Youth Theatre Festival
Theater of the Oppressed Training
- Translates and disseminates the books of Boal into Arabic
- Provides theatre training to local communities in the West Bank and Gaza
- Produces and tours Forum plays locally and regionally
- Conducts the International Theater of the Oppressed Festival every other year.
ASHTAR Ensemble Plays/Professional Touring Company
- Local and international co-productions
- Local, regional, and international touring
- Devises new plays (immersive and site-specific theatre productions) with professional local artists
- Conducts masterclasses
- To help create a free and innovative individual
- To make theater a fundamental need within Palestinian society
- To arouse the artistic sensibility and taste of young people
- To give voice to the community and stimulate their critical eye
- To build cultural bridges with the theater world
Oranges and Stones
ASHTAR Teacher Training Programs