Hello there, my name is Rew Mitchell and I am the owner of Awakening Fighters and I love what I do! Thank you so much for visiting this page and considering to support us by becoming a patron! My ambitious project has now reached a level where it is no longer sustainable by myself, so I am reaching out to the community for support. You can find out more about how I run Awakening at the bottom of this page.
What is Awakening
Since you are reading this, there is a chance that you already know and value Awakening. It was an idea that came into being in May 2012. I wanted to be able to support female fighters in some way and contribute to the raising of public consciousness and overall social acceptance. The idea was simple, the execution was not. I decided to create a database of female martial artists around the world. The database had to be professional looking and fully comprehensive to be able to make an impact. I believe I have achieved this, however the database has become so popular that its now growing exponentially and costing a significant figure that sadly I can no longer afford.
I have so many ideas and goals to make Awakening better, and even bigger plans for the future. With your help, we can make Awakening Fighters what it deserves to be and we can continue to do great work in the female fight community.
What we regularly create:
• Athlete profiles that are fully comprehensive of a fighters martial arts history. The only place on the internet to do so.
• Fight fixtures and results listing of events around the world, updated several times a day
• Posts that add unique content to the female fight community
• Interviews of athletes so we can all be nosy and learn from each other
• Yearly community awards for female Muay Thai and WMMA to highlight fighters and give deserved recognition
• Opportunities for athletes in the form of being matched or getting sponsorship
• Education for the people outside the fight community that still aren't convinced that women should be fighting (Shame on them!)
• Inspiration to each and everyone that comes across any one of the amazing ladies listed on the website.
• Creative ideas to successfully continue to bring all of the above and more.
Who is Awakening for?
• The pro athlete who deserves recognition for their efforts in pushing the game forward
• The amateur athlete who needs a platform that will help get them fights and sponsorship
• The hardcore fight fan who lives and breathes anything fight community related
• The weekend fight fan who is just getting into it and discovering the size of the female fight community for the first time
• The promoter who is either working out their next card, or desperate to find an athlete to cover the pull-out of an injured fighter.
• The coach who deserves his fighter to be recognized
• The gym that deserves to be recognized as a hotbed of great athletes
• The sponsor looking for hot opportunities yet untapped
• The podcaster researching information for an upcoming athlete interview
• The commentator needing background info to discuss live on air
• The sports writer researching their post
• Me, because it is my life and I love it!
What are my goals for this Patreon strategy?
I want to increase the amount of hours spent on research and data entry
I want to increase the amount of interviews
I want to start doing regular news articles
I want to build and strengthen our own community
I want to reach and inspire more people
I want to be able to include yearly Boxing awards
I want to stop talking about my big ideas and be able to put them into practice
I need Patreon to be able to fund the team members that do research and data entry
I need Patreon to be able to fund our mounting server costs
More about me and running Awakening
I want to start by assuring you that not a single penny of this patreon campaign is for me, it will all be invested directly back into Awakening. To keep the company running and growing costs me approximately $650 a month (this doesn't take time spent into account). To fund this I work as a self-employed designer and also have a part-time job as a Digital Marketing Manager. I work on Awakening approximately 54hrs p/week, and I consistently do 40-58hrs p/week paid work on top of that. I don't have any spare money - when I get paid, I pay my rent and then I pay for the server and the Awakening researchers/data entry guys (who lovingly work for very low hourly rates).
As you can see this approach is not sustainable and it's starting to take its toll on me, I had no idea that Awakening would grow so fast!
If this patreon campaign is successful I hope to begin to cover the costs of our researchers/data entry guys, and our server costs. For the rest of this year I will continue to work both jobs outside of Awakening and I will be able to start saving up to start putting on events. In the business plan I have created we believe that after our fourth event we will be fully sustainable. I will be able to quit my jobs, focus 100% on Awakening… and of course, start living again! Yay!!
The Awakening team
Here's the Awakening team and an average of how many hours are spent maintaining the website.
Rew / Owner, social media, researcher & data entry - 54hrs p/week
Andy / Technical Director - 30hrs p/week
Ashley / Social media, researcher & data entry - 20hrs p/week
Evelyn / Researcher & data entry - 33hrs p/week
Total hours spent working on Awakening = 137hrs p/week
We now have a small Awakening store that Patrons can use discount codes on. See the % OFF rewards to the right.