Baratundeis creating a community headquarters for his creative work
WAIT, WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DO YOU DO? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE??
I'm Baratunde Thurston, and I talk about things that matter often in a way that doesn’t make them sound like “Things. That. Matter.” I’ve done this on stage, on television, in audio, and on every major social platform. You may have experienced my work through my 2019 TED Talk on Living While Black, The Onion, The Daily Show, MSNBC, or podcasts. Maybe you've read book How To Be Black, my Twitter breakdowns of Robert Mueller’s indictments, or saw me speak at your school.
Twenty years into my career, I realize I’ve been scattering my creativity and energy, chasing the approval of algorithms or network executives, both of which pose a risk to democracy! Now I’m ready to finally listen to my mother’s constant childhood advice to “build your own.” That’s where you come in.
BUT, WHERE DO I COME IN?
This Patreon will be my headquarters for creative work, and I’m inviting you in. While the media formats and projects will evolve, the core premise is this: I use humor and intelligence to address serious issues in a way that is hopeful and promotes action. I don’t believe progress just happens. I believe we make it. And I believe the stories we tell help shape the world we live in. I want to live in a dope world, so I plan to tell dope stories. The areas I’m most invested in are race, technology, climate, and democracy… because I like taking on the easy stuff.
My first projects are likely to include:
- follow-ups to my 2019 TED talk about #LivingWhileBlack
- a 2020 presidential campaign resource center
- a new podcast that helps (re)define what it means to be a citizen at a time when investing in the common good feels all too uncommon
COOL COOL, BUT WHAT DO I GET? WHO IS THIS FOR?Depending on the tier, members will get weekly recommended media lists, original content from me just for you, first look at and input on new projects I'm developing, a private SMS number to text with me, invites and discounts to real world events, group video conference calls, and signed books. I've made some posts public so you can get a flavor, and here's an FAQ.
You may be someone who
- follows me on a social platform and loves what you’ve seen but wishes you knew more of what I was up to;
- is inspired by the way I use my voice and wants to join me in my work;
- simply wants to say, “Great job, Baratunde!” but with money, like the boss you are;
Select a membership level
This tier gives you:
- Monthly group video/conference call
- Exclusive audio, video, and words sometimes with secret plans revealed!
- For the nerds - private Roku, FireTV, and audio RSS channels -- essentially your own Baratunde podcast
- A warm, fuzzy feeling with some tingles thrown in.
- Everything in the previous tier
This tier gives you:
- Priority topic submission for monthly conference calls
- Early or discounted tickets to events (including Whiskey Friday)
- My number for text messages where I will text you secrets!
- A warm, fuzzy feeling with extra tingles and a fluttering in your belly.
- Everything in the previous tiers