My name is Benjamin David, podcaster/writer/Managing Editor of my own website, ComicBookIntl.com.
This podcast represents one of the things in life I love most--Batman Beyond--so thank you for taking the time (and hopefully, a donation) to help me talk about it.
Above and Batman Beyond is one of two podcasts I created/host/produce/edit myself on the site's CBI Network (Comic Book Intl Network). Above and Batman Beyond is a bi-weekly audio/video interview show devoted entirely to the futuristic iteration of Batman Beyond.
What's "Batman Beyond?"
Batman Beyond, in case you're unfamiliar, is a Batman-of-the-future who was born in Emmy Award winning TV animation (1999-2001), continuing the story of the classic Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1999). During the time of the Beyond animated series and since, there has been an animated feature film, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, with the legendary Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) reprising his BTAS voice of Joker; several long running DC Comics series, and some great Beyond collectibles as well!
What's our podcast like?
For most episodes of Above and Batman Beyond, we interview the brilliant creators behind all things Batman Beyond:
- Voice Actors (TV): Melissa Disney
- Music Composers (TV and Film): Kristopher Carter, Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuistion
- Writers (Comics, TV, and Film): Dan Jurgens, Adam Beechen, Matthew K. Manning
- Artists (Comics): Dan Jurgens, Bernard Chang, Jon Sommariva
- Toy Makers: DC Collectibles, Funko, Diamond Select Toys
- Convention Coverage:
- New York Comic Con 2017 Interviews: Artist's Alley with Jon Sommariva, Cosplayers, Beyond fans, Marketing from Diamond Select Toys, Funko Marketing
- NY Toy Fair 2017 Interviews (A "Press Only" Event): Funko Marketing; Kotobukiya Marketing
- New Jersey Comic Expo (Upcoming)
- Toy Con NJ (Upcoming)
- Beyond Fan Interviews: NY Comic Con 2017, In person, Skype, Phone
So how do you know your money isn't just being thrown into the Beyond? (especially with terrible "Beyond" puns like the one you just read)
- Consistent Guest List/MY PASSION -Passion might just be the most important thing for a patron to recognize in a creator. But, a consistent guest list full of TV, comic, and toy makers never hurts either. We have been sticking to a steady bi-weekly schedule as well, to make things even more consistent.
- It's FREE! -The show is free, and we plan on keeping it that way for the foreseeable future. Coming up on Episode 10 of the podcast, you now have nearly 10 pieces of free proof. 10 reasons to believe that we will consistently create good programming, talk to amazing guests, and get it to you for FREE on a regular schedule.
- $1,300.00+ Already Spent on My Own Equipment/Studio: All of my podcasting equipment (Several microphones, portable mics, mixers, stands, headphones, a Mac Mini, other tech) adds up to over $1300, and was bought 100% by yours truly. I am not affiliated with any production company or studio other than my own (ComicBookIntl.com), and I am not getting paid a dime by anyone to bring you these shows. Point is, I now need help paying off the existing equipment; as well as converting my current workspace into more of a sound studio. Not recording from a traditional sound studio, the sound quality on the show has room for improvement. So, stepping up sound quality is one of my next goals.
- SoundCloud = $15/month -In order for #2 in this list to remain possible, it costs me $15/month on SoundCloud to keep all the episodes free and available for listeners. And, it's from SoundCloud that most other podcast apps, i.e., iTunes, pull the free episodes. Therefore, SoundCloud is more than necessary to keep everything free.
- Web Hosting = $25/month -Podcasts need websites. Plain n' simple. Hosting BatmanBeyondPodcast.com , ComicBookIntl.com , and a few other domains all add up out to $25/month.
- $1,500.00+ Already Spent on Social Media Marketing -So far, beside equipment and podcast/web hosting, it's probably on Social Media Marketing that I've spent the most. Since June of 2017, I've spent over $1500.00 of my own cash in SMM, most of which went toward this podcast! Getting some of that back or just continuing to do periodic paid promotions is KEY to maintaining a good social media presence online.
- Convention Expenses -Con tickets ain't free; Travel expenses, hotels, and parking in such places as New York City; Nearly one convention per month in the NY/NJ Tri-State area; Convention Exclusive collectibles used for unboxing podcasts/videos and further interviews with collectibles companies: Funko, DC Collectibles, and Diamond Select Toys.
- Video Equipment -Asking around for feedback, a lot of people say that they prefer video over listening to podcasts when it comes to getting their geek related content. So, now I'm doing my best to serve both audio and video audiences. Already, I've bought a light box, tripod and other equipment for collectible and merchandise unboxing. However, the more video we do (including getting myselfand guests on camera), the bigger the set of equipment I'll need: better cameras, lighting, green screen, TIME for video editing which takes FOREVER, possibly more sound equipment.
THANK YOU for taking the time to read this and considering a donation. One thing to always keep in mind: WHATEVER you can do is more than appreciated and helpful.
PS: REWARDS COMING SOON! Including tee shirts and more!