It's hosted by:
- Shireen Ahmed, freelance writer and sports activist in Toronto
- Amira Rose Davis, Assistant Professor of History and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Penn State University
- Brenda Elsey, Associate Professor of History at Hofstra in New York
- Lindsay Gibbs, sports reporter at ThinkProgress in Washington, DC
- Jessica Luther, freelance sportswriter and author in Austin, Texas
Each week, we bring an intersectional feminist view to the biggest stories in sports, toss the most abominable people in athletics on the proverbial Burn Pile, and celebrate some of the most badass women, non-binary, and gender-nonconforming people in sports.
We also interview some of the most influential figures in the game. In the six months and over 32 episodes we've created so far, we've talked to people like ESPN's Jemele Hill, legendary sportscaster Andrea Kremer, the WNBA's Layshia Clarendon and Essence Carson, professional soccer player and commentator Monica Gonzalez, and Brazilian soccer legends Sissi and Tafa.
The support from your Patreon donations will allow us to continue to afford quick, high-quality editing, and to provide transcripts for each episode. Beyond that, we hope to hire a part-time producer to smooth out the behind-the-scenes work it takes to put this show together each week. In time, we want to take this show on the road and record live in front of audiences. All of these things take time, effort, and money to make possible.
The work we do is now more important than ever. 40% of all sports participants are female, yet women’s sports receive only 4% (!!!) of all sport media coverage. 87% of sports reporters and editors are men. In podcasting, it’s even worse -- of the top 50 sports podcasts on the iTunes charts, only three of them have even one female host. We have FIVE.
Face it -- you all need us. Badly.
We are so appreciative of the incredible response to the podcast, but we need your continued support.
Please, become a Burn It All Down patron and share the podcast with your friends, so we can keep bringing this podcast to you on a weekly basis, championing the women in sports who deserve to be championed, and, of course, burning all the things that need to be burned.
What people are saying:
- “Not only can this diverse group of friends be counted on to bring an intersectional eye to everything they discuss, they’re also on the ball when it comes to basic coverage, as well.” – Shondaland
- “This podcast is a who’s who of amazing women sports writers.” – Bitch Magazine (No. 77, Winter 2018 issue)
- “It is fantastic to finally have a show that…understands that not all sports fans live in man-caves in their basement.” – Rewire