By day, I'm the RPG director at Atlas Games, managing and overseeing various game lines from Feng Shui to Unknown Armies. By night—and most weekends—I tinker with my own worlds and designs, and contribute to numerous RPG projects as a freelance designer and writer.
I've worked on a lot of games for other people.
In the last twenty years I've designed or worked on RPGs based on popular properties such as Marvel Comics, Dragonlance, and Dungeons & Dragons. I co-created the Cortex Plus system for Margaret Weis Productions, and the Demon Hunters: A Comedy of Terrors for Dead Gentlemen Productions. And I've been a contributor to over a hundred books and supplements.
It's time I worked on games for myself.
I have a thousand worlds in my head. My wife says I'm plugged directly into the story dimension, and I want to channel some of that creative energy into settings of my own design. I want to take these ideas and turn them into RPGs and RPG supplements, playtest them, polish them, and publish them. And I want to involve you!
I can't do this alone.
I've never been a solo act. I've always valued co-designers, collaborators, and colleagues. I love playtesters and promoters. I want to give the folks who want to support me a seat at the production table, so I can put food on my family's table and let everyone else roll dice at their game tables. Help me use my powers for good and create the content that I've always wanted to make!
With your help, I'm going to create new worlds for RPGs.
My goal is to spend my time and effort creating settings and supplements, both digital and (with some luck) print, for game systems that I am familiar with and love to work on. The focus is on bringing to life original content that feels comfortable but at the same time strikes out along a path I'm excited by.
Here are some examples of worlds I've got in mind for the future:
SWORDBRIDGE is a mannerpunk setting centered around a smoke-filled city of intrigue, politics, and witchcraft that also happens to be the site of the only reliable gateway into the lands of Faerie.
- Swords, villains, magic, cults, the oppressive Church, the devious Kings and Queens of the faerie courts
- Hectic carriage rides through dark streets lit by musket fire.
- Magical battles for control over elemental flotsam from the Elfwars.
- Inspired by Neil Gaiman, Mary Gentle, Martha Wells, Scott Lynch, and other urban fantasists and my love affair with crow-people.
EIDOLON is a neo-Classical fantasy setting in which countless small gods and divinities are worshiped in hearths, shrines, and temples everywhere but only a chosen few have the power to embody them for their own purposes.
- Draw on the power of a great eidolon such as the Chimera, the Hydra, the Gorgon, or the Minotaur.
- Manifest awesome powers in order to gain wealth, fight crime, overturn kingdoms, or attract followers.
- Inspired by Final Fantasy's summoners, games like Scion, Mythender, Godbound, and Birthright, Jim Butcher's Codex Alera, and one of my Wizards of the Coast setting searches.
- Think of it as myth-powered super heroes and villains in a larger than life world filled with spirits and gods.
Sound good? I've got a hundred others, fragments and seeds and kernels of ideas. Help me make them all a reality, one world at a time.