Michalis Kamburelisis creating Castle Game Engine
Select a membership level
You also get access to all private Patreon posts, where I post various code snippets and data from the games we develop at "Cat-astrophe Games" studio, using Castle Game Engine of course. I uncover how various cool features of "Escape from the Universe" were done, how we're doing 3D roads generation for "Sad Sam", and my co-creator, Paweł Wojciechowicz, will occasionally publish some juicy graphic asset!
- Patron-only content feed
- The complete open-source game engine
You also get my eternal gratitude, and all the features from the previous tier! Your support really helps me spend time on the engine. Thank you!
- All the features from the previous tier
- Request new features to implement, each month
- Make an isometric real-time game, like "Diablo",
- Make an Android game using GPS,
- Make a game with Steam integration,
- Make an MMORPG game!
The source code of these games will be published, openly (on GitHub or GitLab). This way everyone benefits from yet another code example using the engine! Some of these games may also result in additional features in the engine itself, e.g. the "Steam integration" (mentioned as example above) would most likely result in a new unit in the engine core.
You can propose (or challenge:) me to make anything, using Castle Game Engine of course. I love gamejams and the idea of creating something within time constraints (some of my games on GitHub were created during a gamejam). So I'm confident that I can create some awesome things. But, no promises -- I probably will not be able to create "a complete MMORPG like World of Warcraft" within a day:) But I could create a "groundwork for a multiplayer network 3D game, with a simple server backed with a database".
You also get all the rewards from the previous tiers, of course.
- All the features from the previous tier
- Propose a game to implement, each month
- We support a lot of 3D and 2D formats (glTF, X3D, Spine JSON...).
- We are portable to a lot of platforms - desktop (Windows, Linux, macOS...), mobile (Android, iOS), console (Nintendo Switch), Raspberry Pi.
- We have a lot of cool graphic effects. Physically-based rendering, shadows, mirrors, bump mapping, shader effects, gamma correction...
- I truly believe that open standards are important. The engine has great support for glTF and X3D, open standards for 3D and 2D models. You can export to them from any 3D authoring software -- Blender, 3ds Max, Maya... We have a dynamic scene graph based on X3D nodes, which means that you can do many cool things by changing scene at runtime. You can create various processing and visualization tools, not only games!
- We have a visual editor to manage your projects and design user interfaces and game layouts. Underneath a command-line build tool can be used to cross-compile and package the projects in batch mode.
- We are using Object Pascal, a modern Pascal dialect, with classes, generics etc. We have a Modern Object Pascal Introduction for Programmers so you can learn everything you need. We use FPC as a cross-platform compiler and Lazarus as an IDE (editor, debugger, visual designer). The next engine version will also feature Delphi compatibility.
- We are also making view3dscene, which is a viewer for all the 3D formats we support. It is perfectly usable on it's own, as a browser for interactive 3D worlds created in X3D, glTF and other formats.
I have spent most of my days (and nights :) ) developing this engine throughout the years. It has become a project of my life, and I'm proud of it. The goal was always to create the most beautiful games ever, with interesting story and incredible graphics. So the Castle Game Engine was created as a vehicle to do the games I love. Nowadays, we're making games (mobile, desktop, console...) as an indie game studio Cat-astrophe Games, of course using my engine!
Please support the development of the engine, so that I can implement more features and support even more platforms! Thank you! And we have rewards -- you can request a feature, request a game (as an example of engine use; new game every month!) and get access to a "cloud build" server.
I will also do a little dance of joy with my cat!