Hi! I'm Chad Sell, a cartoonist and illustrator in Chicago. I make comics and draw drag queens.
But if you're reading this, you probably already know who I am. (If not, check out my website, I guess?) However, you might not know what this Patreon thing is. Basically, it's a way for you to directly support artists you like so that they can keep doing what they do. Cool, right?
I've been on Patreon since 2015 --it's been really amazing and an incredible help to me. My supporters sign up to send me a monthly pledge amount (whatever you want!), and it gives me a level of security and stability that I wouldn't otherwise have as a self-employed cartoonist.
I try to make it worthwhile for my supporters, too! Supporters at any level get access to all my Patreon posts and exclusive content. And if you pledge as little as $5 per month, I'll mail you cool stuff! Although most of my professional work is done digitally, I create custom postcard sketches that I send out to my patrons every month! Some months, I'll pick certain themes, like sci-fi, cartoon characters, or exotic animals! And during the seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race, I draw lots and lots of drag queens! My supporters can always request specific characters or queens to draw, too!
Here's how it works:
- $5/month supporters will get a limited edition 4x6 postcard print of one of my favorite sketches that month! (This tier is limited to supporters in the US because of postage costs)
- $7/month supporters receive TWO DIFFERENT limited edition postcard prints each month, because sometimes it's too hard to choose just one! I'm opening this one up to international supporters!
- $10/month supporters receive a custom 4x6 postcard sketch every month, shipped anywhere in the world! I try to cater the original art to your specific requests, so go crazy! (At times, I may limit the number of these pledges, because I can only do so many of them each month!)
- $15/month supporters receive that custom 4x6 postcard sketch and one of that month's limited edition postcard prints.
- $20/month supporters will get the custom 4x6 postcard sketch and BOTH of that month's limited edition postcard prints!
- You can absolutely feel free to pledge even more, but I can't really send you anything cooler than the $20/month stuff!
I really love the monthly interactions with my supporters, and doing these sketch cards has been a great opportunity to experiment with new techniques and fall back in love with simple pen and paper!
The support of my Patreon participants has also allowed me to invest a ton of time over the past two years into a really amazing project called The Cardboard Kingdom that will be coming out in 2018! It's a kids' comic that I put together with a team of amazing collaborators.
As a graphic novelist, it can be nearly impossible to find the time and energy to sink into a large-scale project, especially when you don't know if you'll ever find a publisher for it. But The Cardboard Kingdom has found a home at Knopf Books for Young Readers, and I couldn't be more thrilled about it! I hope to share a lot more about The Cardboard Kingdom soon!
Despite the excitement of landing my first book deal, I've come to realize that publishing is a very long, drawn out process, especially when you're trying to make really worthwhile, amazing books! So your support on Patreon helps me stay afloat and productive month-by-month during the long, long production process in publishing!
And yes, as always, I'll be drawing my favorite looks from each episode of RuPaul's Drag Race! Thanks for helping me do that, too!
Just a quick note on how my particular Patreon works: when you sign up, you aren't actually billed until the first of the following month, and I send out my postcards by the end of that month. So you may not receive your cool stuff until the end of *next* month -- does that make sense? You can always feel free to message me with any questions!