Who are you & what’s this about?
Hello! I’m Michelle Nickolaisen, an indie creator & storyteller, and Chelleshock Studios is the banner under which I’ve put all of my creative projects, including:
- Serendipity City, the magical dieselpunk actual play podcast
- Unplaced, an audio drama currently on hiatus after its first season (expected to return in May/June 2018)
- The Worldslip trilogy, of which I am currently working on book two and three, to be (...hopefully) published in 2018 & 2019
- In various stages of development: a campy queer sci-fi audio drama, a choose-your-own adventure text-based game, in-world and standalone short stories, a supernatural murder mystery, and more
Money from this Patreon will help me create more content & better content (because I’ll have more time and energy to dedicate to it, instead of using the scraps left over after running a full-time freelance business), but it will also help me pay my collaborators and co-creators, which is very important to me. As a freelancer myself, I refuse to ask people to work for free. As a result, I've spent over two thousand dollars out of pocket this year to pay my collaborators, and it's created a catch-22 where I'm unable to continue doing this unless I take on more freelance work, which leaves me less time to work on these creative projects (unless I want to give up sleep, which, no thank you please). This is where you come in!
In short: having a Patreon can help me pay my collaborators more (and have more collaborators) and create more things (for even more people to enjoy), and in return, you get exclusives and first-access content. You can get rewards like:
- Sneak peeks and snippets of works in progress (before anyone else gets any of it!)
- Behind-the-scenes interviews and commentary with cast/crew/collaborators
- Process posts and videos, outlining how I build worlds and characters and showing my inspiration (some of these might eventually be republished elsewhere, but you’ll see it first!)
- Short stories and flash fiction, before it’s published elsewhere (if it is published elsewhere), whether standalone or featuring the characters you know & love from other works
- Q&A posts answering your questions about the worlds, the characters, my writing process, juggling so many side projects while also running a full-time business, or whatever you want!
- In the future: postcards with custom art and exclusive fiction, livestreams, and more content overall
Basically, if it’s related to any of my fiction work, even tangentially, patrons will always see it first and might be the only ones who ever see it.
Reward schedule:That sounds great, you say, but how often will I get rewards?
There will be:
- At least one process/behind the scenes post a month
- At least two early access episodes a month
- Sneak peeks, short stories, and other pieces of in-world content whenever possible (and increasing as we go along!)
What even are these things?
I know everyone might not use the same lingo I do or think the same way, so here’s a brief breakdown with some examples so that you know exactly what you’re getting:
- Process post: How I did XYZ (how I use Asana and Evernote to keep track of ideas and keep a swipe file, how I have Ulysses set up to keep track of all my world and character notes as I work on a manuscript/game, how I outline and brainstorm ideas, how this idea evolved over time to wind up where it did, how and why I mashed multiple game systems together for my first DM project instead of just using one, etc.)
- Behind the scenes or sneak peek posts: Showcasing where things are at in a specific project, what’s coming next, or what the thoughts are behind a specific character/world/story choice or design (I just got this chapter back from the editor, here’s me and the actor for character X talking about character X’s motivations, here’s a look at this upcoming character)
- Q&A post: You send in questions — about characters, worlds, process, upcoming work, what have you — I (and/or collaborators) post answers.
- Character sketches: A profile of a character; a sketch, a few pieces of trivia, their birthday, an anecdote about their life, etc. Or maybe just their OKCupid profile. Who knows!
- Short story or other piece of short media: Okay, just kidding, you probably know this one. Some of them will be in worlds you already know (bonus side stories/back stories for Worldslip characters, for example), some will be standalone stories. And sometimes, these will be minigames, one-off RPG sessions, comics, or other ways to tell short stories, too.
Any questions? Feel free to email me at michelle (at) bombchelle (dot) com, hit me up via messages here, or send me a tweet.
Thanks so much for reading this far, and for your support! <3
Wait, who are you again?
Just in case you don't know who I am, or want to know more: I'm a writer & storyteller. My other projects (often business-oriented) have included the Freelancer Planner and Rock the System (a Kindle book about business systems for solopreneurs), along with Unplaced and Keys and Needles (the first Worldslip book).
All of my fiction/worlds/stories are, of course, heavily influenced by my life and experiences. In my case, some of those are being pagan/witchy (it is almost impossible for me to create worlds without magic and gods, because I see those everywhere in my everyday life), growing up queer and pagan in the Bible Belt, and my experiences of mental health/illnesses and chronic pain/illnesses. If your interest is piqued by any of that, you're probably in the right spot and I'd love to have you as a patron!