Cloud Islandis creating Social Networking in New Zealand
Select a membership level
Early Access Generosity Edition
At this tier, you get:
- Everything from the tier below,
- Our really REALLY extreme thanks
About Cloud Island
Welcome to Cloud Island
Social media needs to be by the users, for the users. We don’t do advertising, we won’t sell your data. Your data and your social network is yours, and always will be.
We aim to limit the collection and use of data about you and ensure your data remains yours.
To deploy and operate a social network in New Zealand, that:
- Implements strong, progressive-aligned moderation from Day 1,
- Does not monetise users, because all users are customers,
- Does not use the Service to advertise,
- Retains as much of the service software and data storage in New Zealand to the maximum extent possible, and
- Makes reasonable use of open source/free software.
All modern social networking is built using advertising, forcing unreasonable and unethical data collection, offshoring of data collection, and an attitude of “not our problem” in the face of hostile and harmful actions by users of those platforms.
We don’t think that is acceptable for a modern social network, and is not the network we are going to build.
New Zealand Hosted Material
One of the founding ideals of Cloud Island is to ensure that it is a social network hosted in New Zealand, and not overseas.
Thanks to the generous support of Catalyst Cloud, we’ve been able to make meet that goal.
Running a service isn’t free. Moderation requires humans to oversee and make judgements on what is appropriate for our community, and what isn’t.
As the service grows, subscriptions will be used to subsidise a free tier, providing access to people who would not normally be able to join.
Eventually, we hope to support the upstream development of the Mastodon server code and free software Android and iOS apps.