We're focused on money-making activities high above the sky -- the doers and the dreamers who pour their entrepreneurial drive into start-ups, that turn into small and mid-sized enterprises, that fuel the big "primes," all of which help to propel our space industry forwards.
- We've covered academia and the sci-fi dreams which academics run up their metaphorical flagpoles in search of funding -- and the commercialization initiatives that ride the boundaries between school and the working world.
- We've visited the past with G.Y. Kaufman, Casey Baldwin, John McCurdy & Balfour Currie and assessed the long-term impact of the failures of the Avro Arrow in the 1950's and the "deconstruction" of Spar Aerospace in the 1990's.
- We've scoped out the revolving door of Canadian Space Agency presidents, provided an overview of 50 years of Federal government policy relating to science, innovation and commercialization and -- juicy stuff here -- we continue to track the ongoing saga of the three largest Canadian space companies (Telesat, Macdonald Dettwiler and what was once Com Dev International) as they work on accessing the lucrative US civil and military markets without (utterly) abandoning their Canadian roots.
- We've even found interesting stories about knowledgable and well known Canadians who've had to pull up roots and emigrate to the US or Europe in order to continue working in the space and aerospace industry.
Actually, we've covered over 800 of those stories since the blog began in 2010.
Sound good? 30,000 readers per month agree with you! But we need your help.
That's why we've set up a Commercial Space blog Patreon page, for you to contribute as you see fit. We accept monthly pledges of $1, $3, $5, $10, $25, $40 and $50.
Each level of contribution comes with increasing levels of gifts, swag and access to events, in order to reward you for your generosity.
Best of all, the more people who contribute, the better and more effectively we can cover this emerging industry:
- For $1500 a month, we can keep the lights on at the blog, cover the website costs and phone bills and pay our dedicated team members a tiny stipend.
- For an extra $2000, we can port the website from blogspot to a dedicated domain name, which will allow us to add more features, double our readership, and increase that stipend from "tiny" up to "small."
- And for an extra $1000 after that, we can start sending more correspondents out in the field, where your generous support will ensure they have access to better sources and better stories.
For us, every reader counts -- be they a space mogul, space advocate, aspiring student, or even space cadet. We're looking for your help!
Your contributions will keep the heartbeat going. And, in return, we're happy to pass along a great deal of swag, useful information and access to the movers and shakers of the Canadian space and aerospace industry.
With your trust and support, we can keep going. So help us to continue to tell the stories of the industry you love. Support the Commercial Space blog.