Outside of the Academy and Outside of the Box.
COTO - CULTURE ON THE OFFENSIVE
Meet, think, eat, drink, listen, speak.
Free-thinking, live performances, free-speech.
Online publication, podcasts, have your say,
Multi-media essays, unique philosophy everyday.
This is what happens when a philosopher and an Artist filmmaker form a partnership. The charismatic and intriquing public intellectual Dr Greg Scorzo and artist / filmmaker Lizzie Soden have created a buzzing scene based in Leicester UK, underlined by our online presence, publishing multi-media essays, dialogues with controversial thinkers, podcasts and Post-Socratic dialogues. Our page views have reached an astonishing 98,000 and our users 45,000 over the last 2 years, so it seems we are now bone-fide contributors to the so-called intellectual dark web.
So far our 'Art of Thinking' events have included : #freespeech #oppression #protest #satire #entitlement #Christmas #freewill #equality #protest #metoo #campuscensorship #comedy #informalcensorship #counterculture #peace #love and even the film #aclockworkorange.
We have partnered up with the Leicester Comedy Festival, DMU's Leicester Cultural eXchanges, Brunel Univerity's 50 years celebrations and the "Battle of Ideas" at the Barbican, London, run by the Academy of Ideas for the last 2 years. We are running 2 sessions there again this year.
This is a new kind of social enterprise, that has been growing simply by us engaging people in the 'Art of Thinking' with empathy, clarity and courage in social, organisational and online settings.
We are on the cusp of it really taking off and would love to make our passion into fruitful employment. We have been putting every spare minute and all of the money earned back into the business and have worked totally voluntarily to raise awareness and experiment with the format.
Who knows where this will take us? Broadcast live event? TV? Radio? Books of articles published? As we grow we see that this is much appreciated and people have been crying out for spaces where they can think and speak freely around philosophical, cultural or social themes. We have reached a stage where we need to give it our full-time attention.
- We do not blindly accept the current establishment cultural ‘etiquette.’
- We judge people as individuals and not by particular demographic groups they may belong to.
- We enjoy the exploration of human paradoxes.
- We embrace cultural innovation, creativity and mischief.
- We are interrogating the impact of our contemporary culture on our world views.
- We start new and original conversations, and get to the thinking behind the thinking.
We are the antidote to this climate of polarised thinking with people engaging in a sort of culture war. We are CULTURE ON THE OFFENSIVE. Moving forwards, encouraging nuanced thinking, getting people to engage with their adversaries and get those synapses firing.
- WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT TO HELP US KEEP GOING AND GROWING.
- YOUR DONATIONS WILL GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO DO AN 'ART OF THINKING' EVENT IN YOUR AREA, OR GIVE YOU FREE TICKETS TO EVENTS.
- YOU WILL BE CONTRIBUTING TO PUBLISHING BOOKS AND TO SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGNS.
- IT'S TIME TO BUILD OUR TEAM AND PAY OURSELVES TO ENABLE US TO FOCUS SOLELY ON THIS MEANINGFUL AND MUCH NEEDED ENTERPRISE.