Clio Yun-su Davisis creating roleplaying games and writing
Select a membership level
Become a mysterious presence in my life, just like the feeling of eyes watching me as I gaze upon the woods at night, locked in a staring contest with a force I cannot possibly fathom.
You'll have access to blog posts and videos exclusive to Patreon, as well as my gratitude!
Gain access to forbidden knowledge, a.k.a. my games.
You'll get PDFs of the games I create independently as they are completed, as well as access to the Patreon-only feed.
Like a sickly sweet voice emanating from the woods to demand tribute in the form of song, you shall be respected and obeyed.
Once a month, I will make you a personalized 15 track playlist based on a project you're working on, a game you're running, or even just an a vibe you'd like more of in your life. I'll write up some notes about the song choices as well.
You will also have access to everything from the previous tiers.
About Clio Yun-su Davis
I'm a game designer and writer whose work tends to explore nostalgia, pop culture, grief, artificial intelligence, ghosty stuff, space stuff, and Asian and Asian American themes. For a while now, I've wanted to share with people a kind of behind-the-scenes look into how I make games and write stories, and Patreon seems like the perfect way to do that. Occasionally people will ask me for design or writing advice, and with your support on Patreon I can take the time to explain my process in both written and video format.
I'd also love to make more games (perhaps even games you can provide some of the inspiration for). In particular, I'm on a mission to make shorter RPGs and LARPs that require minimal set-up, because life can be busy and tiring but that shouldn't mean we can't play make-believe for a little while.
What games have you made?
Some of the games and game supplements I've made or contributed to include:
- The Fog Knows Your Name, an interactive horror novel published by Choice of Games in 2019.
- Battle of the Boybands, a card game where you build boy bands and make them compete.
- But Not Tonight, a freeform larp about nuclear panic in the 80s. There is also a tabletop version that was shown in the Boston FIG Tabletop Showcase in 2017.
- Pass the Sugar, Please, a larp about having to secretly communicate about BDSM while at a tea party, published in Honey & Hot Wax.
- The Long Drive Back from Busan, which won the Golden Cobra Challenge award for Best Game that Incorporates Meaningful, Non-Romantic Relationships in 2017.
- The Truth About Eternity, a semi-live scenario about digital tombs and the future of ancestor worship, which was a part of Fastaval 2019 in Denmark.
- No Such Place as Koreatown, a Kids on Bikes adventure module.
- The Bouquet Blunder, a story for FlipTales.
- Magical Kitties Save the Day: Mars Colony, a sci-fi setting where kitties explore the magic of Mars.
- Mutants & Masterminds: Time Traveler's Codex, a time travel supplement for the comic book hero RPG.
What have you written?
- "Flowers for the Moon," published in issue 30 of Luna Station Quarterly.
- "Half a Mile and Six Years Between Us," a Roswell Award Honorable Mention.
- "Quartet of Thieves," a story set in the world of the Blue Rose RPG.
- "The Price of Mercy," a serialized Blue Rose story being published in Nisaba Journal.
- "A Proper Burial," a story published in the Blue Rose anthology Sovereigns.
What are you working on right now?
This about me section! I can't promise that will be the last of the dad jokes as much as I would like to. My current works-in-progress are:
- Undying Fortress, an interactive fiction game for Choice of Games.
- Strange Lusts / Strange Loves: An Anthology of Erotic Interactive Fiction.
- The Tragedies of Waldron Hall for Thirsty Sword Lesbians.
- Women are Werewolves, a card-driven story game about being a non-binary member of a family were the women turn into wolves during the full moon and having to navigate gendered family traditions and microaggressions.
- A few other exciting games! And my cultural consulting work.
What games do you want to make with the help of Patreon supporters?
- The Ghost of the Atlantic, a freeform larp about robots after an extinction event.
- Father, a freeform game about unliving creatures searching for the necromancer who created and rejected them.
- An updated version of The Long Drive Back from Busan with illustrations.
- An ASMR game
If you're still curious about me and my work, you can also check out my interviews on Backstory (hosted by Alex Roberts who also has a Patreon), Asians Represent! (co-hosted by Daniel Kwan who also also has a Patreon), and with James Mendez Hodes (who also also also has a Patreon). Additionally, I'm a regular on Roll to Play's Red Death actual play campaign.
Thanks for taking the time to check out my page! I look forward to making more games for you.