Last year I jumped right in and started designing and writing my own RTS game. After a few months of research and programming, I've learned a lot! Like how much work its going to take to complete this project. Maybe its crazy to even try taking on something like this, but what the heck. This project is giving me a chance to do everything I love. Design worlds, build cool stuff in 3d, and write code.
I'm calling the game DemiStar.
Here's what I've got done so far:
- The image above is a screen grab from my Nexus 7 tablet running the game so far. The graphics, especially the background, are placeholders I through together so I'd have something to work with.
- Since this game is targeted toward tablets, I've focused on making the user interface very accessible.
- I'd like to make the game multiplayer to start. That way I won't get bogged down in writing AI routines beyond what I've done so far.
- The game is not going to be a 3d game like StarCraft2, but sprite based like the original StarCraft. The reason is performance on tablets. Adding a 3d component to the game uses up limited resources and doesn't add much to the final product in my opinion. I'm willing to have my mind changed with the right argument though.
- I have three unique races in mind. I love StarCraft like I said, but I don't just want to copy everything they did. Where's the fun in that? I'm having fun designing each race, but could use help fleshing them out.
- In the original StarCraft, the levels were created with beautiful tile mapped graphics. I started building maps to play on using this approach. After several weeks of effort I realized in wasn't going to be a good way to go. Instead, I'm creating levels as fully rendered backgrounds that have amazing detail without limitations.
I have a full time job working as a visual effects supervisor. and do all my design and programming in my spare time.
If I can get enough support from everyone out there, I'd like to hire a programmer whose better at this than me. That way I can be freed up to continue building assets for the game.
My goal when I finished this game is to have a free multiplayer version with possible in-app purchases (nothing that would be required for game play), and a paid single player story version.
If you're a fan of RTS games, I hope you'll support my project.