Dessalinesis creating Lemmy
Select a membership level
View Site · Documentation · Report Bug · Request Feature · Releases
About The ProjectLemmy is similar to sites like Reddit, Lobste.rs, Raddle, or Hacker News: you subscribe to forums you're interested in, post links and discussions, then vote, and comment on them. Behind the scenes, it is very different; anyone can easily run a server, and all these servers are federated (think email), and connected to the same universe, called the Fediverse.
For a link aggregator, this means a user registered on one server can subscribe to forums on any other server, and can have discussions with users registered elsewhere.
The overall goal is to create an easily self-hostable, decentralized alternative to reddit and other link aggregators, outside of their corporate control and meddling.
Each lemmy server can set its own moderation policy; appointing site-wide admins, and community moderators to keep out the trolls, and foster a healthy, non-toxic environment where all can feel comfortable contributing.
Note: Federation is still in active development
Why's it called Lemmy?
- Lead singer from Motörhead.
- The old school video game>).
- The Koopa from Super Mario.
- The furry rodents.
- Open source, AGPL License.
- Self hostable, easy to deploy.
- Clean, mobile-friendly interface.
- Only a minimum of a username and password is required to sign up!
- User avatar support.
- Live-updating Comment threads.
- Full vote scores <code>(+/-)</code> like old reddit.
- Themes, including light, dark, and solarized.
- Emojis with autocomplete support. Start typing <code>:</code>
- User tagging using <code>@</code>, Community tagging using <code>#</code>.
- Integrated image uploading in both posts and comments.
- A post can consist of a title and any combination of self text, a URL, or nothing else.
- Notifications, on comment replies and when you're tagged.
- Notifications can be sent via email.
- i18n / internationalization support.
- RSS / Atom feeds for <code>All</code>, <code>Subscribed</code>, <code>Inbox</code>, <code>User</code>, and <code>Community</code>.
- Cross-posting support.
- A similar post search when creating new posts. Great for question / answer communities.
- Moderation abilities.
- Public Moderation Logs.
- Can sticky posts to the top of communities.
- Both site admins, and community moderators, who can appoint other moderators.
- Can lock, remove, and restore posts and comments.
- Can ban and unban users from communities and the site.
- Can transfer site and communities to others.
- Can fully erase your data, replacing all posts and comments.
- NSFW post / community support.
- High performance.
- Server is written in rust.
- Front end is <code>~80kB</code> gzipped.
- Supports arm64 / Raspberry Pi.
Support / Donate
- bitcoin: <code>1Hefs7miXS5ff5Ck5xvmjKjXf5242KzRtK</code>
- ethereum: <code>0x400c96c96acbC6E7B3B43B1dc1BB446540a88A01</code>
- monero: <code>41taVyY6e1xApqKyMVDRVxJ76sPkfZhALLTjRvVKpaAh2pBd4wv9RgYj1tSPrx8wc6iE1uWUfjtQdTmTy2FGMeChGVKPQuV</code>
CreditsLogo made by Andy Cuccaro (@andycuccaro) under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license.
How it works
Get started in 2 minutes
Choose a membership
Add a payment method