Who Am I?I am an independent musician, opera/pop singer, songwriter, producer and arranger. Some of you know me from my iTunes Single of the Week Dreamer. Others may have discovered me through films, TV ("Scandal"), remixes like Pegboard Nerds's Hero and Extraordinary - or my turn as the singing Tavern Bard in Dragon Age: Inquisition.
I am also a new Mom! I often find myself up at night, watching over my sleeping toddler, while working on a new tune in headphones. Lack of sleep and lots of coffee are quite familiar to me these days.
What is Patreon?Patreon is a great community and rolling crowd-funding platform where each fan like you can become a Patron and support the artist directly and sustainably. It’s very popular among countless independent artists, musicians, writers, and videographers. It's kind of like a good old Tip Jar with a modern twist. Read on :)
Why Patreon?Since I launched my own record label Flower Army Records in 2014, I have been a fully independent artist. I have self-funded everything, including my last two albums, and lots of my new song ideas have been waiting for me to make them reality. However, Facebook and Twitter have become overcrowded and full of noise. Artist like myself can no longer reach their fans on there without buying $$$ ads. Patreon gives me an ability to reach my fam directly, without stress and hassle. I can unleash my creativity and provide YOU with best, most special content every month. YOU, on the other hand, can support me in my life's work, and make sure I keep making music regularly, regardless of the ups and downs of the volatile music industry.
How Does It Work?Patreon works like IndieGoGo or Kickstarter but with greater sustainability and flexibility; it gives artists an option to receive your pledge either monthly or per song. My Patreon is set as a monthly subscription: you pledge what you want ($1 and up) monthly for my work. I pledge to record and deliver one song per month to you. It could feature a band, a choir, an orchestra, or just me on piano and a violin - whatever the song needs to be as good as it can be. You will get access to the high-resolution files of my new tunes as soon as they are ready weeks or months before their official release date. You will also get access to the Patreon-exclusive feed and receive a variety of perks and specials depending on your subscription type as listed on this page (Sheet music! The Behind-the-Scenes! Skype voice lessons! Personal phone calls! etc). Furthermore, when the total number of subscribers reaches subscription goals, bonus content, such as Home Session videos and covers will be unlocked to all of you.
Will It Really Be One Song A Month?Yes. I am always writing and recording songs. I have many songs, which are almost finished, but require additional elements, like real instruments, as well as professional mixing and mastering. With the additional funds I’ll be able to finish the best ones and make them available to you – one per month.
Where Will My Money Really Go?The funds I receive through your support will go towards a few important things:
- Music Production! Hiring musicians, studio time, mixing, mastering, creating sheet music, etc. I work with a great team of creatives and professionals. It's an honor and a privilege to collaborate with them – and pay them fairly and adequately for their excellence!
- Recording Equipment! Microphones, instruments, computer, software, etc that facilitate high-quality and efficient recording and production. My trusty, embattled Apple laptop is pretty close to the end of its life :(
- Video Production! All my videos released in the recent years were self-produced and self-funded. For independent musicians like me, it takes an extra effort to produce something of artistic value, but is watched for free. As I get more Patrons, I'll be able to allocate more funds towards shooting and editing videos of my live performances, as well as creating official videos of new and existing songs.
- Performance-related Artwork! As many of you know, I collaborate with young and up-and-coming designers (like i102fly and Flower Couture) to create flower headpieces, costumes and props for my concerts and videos. Art is an important part of my music-making. These flower creations are handmade and re-used frequently, with much love and care.
- Basic Living Expenses, i.e.: roof over my family and food on the table, so I am able to continue working on music.
- Finishing The Beatrix Story! Do you remember the beautiful map insert of my debut full album Beatrix Runs? The songs on that album follow a story arch, reflected in the map. With additional funds, I’ll be able to take some time out to finish the story and publish it online, as was my original intent.
Does My Subscription have to be in US Dollars?No. You can pay in any currency and it will be automatically converted.
Can I Change the Amount or Unsubscribe?Yes, you can change your monthly membership type or unsubscribe any time for any reason and it’s very easy. All you have to do is access your account and cancel your subscription. (Here's how to change the membership type, skip for a month, or unsubscribe. Other billing Q&A is HERE) No strings attached. Don't worry, I will still love you lots, and there are other ways to support my music, too!
YOUR INFORMATION IS SAFE AND NEVER SHARED WITH ANY OTHER PLATFORMS! (take that, Facebook)
Did I forget anything? If so, please reach out and ask.