Good question! I ask myself this often. Mostly I'm Arielle, or "Girl Blue". I'm a musician, singer, songwriter, producer, maker of creative things. Under my given name "Arielle", I hosted a pretty well-liked youtube channel, put out an album, did some reality TV, some session writing, etc etc. As "Girl Blue", I've put out an EP and singles that have garnered some notice via Spotify/the internet. Currently, I live in upstate NY, I make music in my dining room, I'm working on a new album, etc etc! You can check out some stuff below if you'd like to see proof of all this:
Patreon is an online community for creators and their supporters. Like, the real homies. I like to think about it as a 'Subscription to Girl Blue'. Instead of traditional crowdfunding, where I'd ask you for a large amount of money over a specific time period to fund one project, Patreon asks that you pay basically a "Subscription" fee each month (of your choosing) that grants you access to a bunch of monthly content straight from me. It's like this:
Make sense? Okay, but I bet you're wondering...
Now we're talking. Like I said, your patronage is essentially GIVING ME A CAREER as a musician. That means consistent recording and touring. I'm in the process of recording a new, full length album for you all right now, and I'm paying for it all myself. Your support would be helping me pay for:
- engineering, mixing and mastering my singles and album
- having CD's and Vinyl's pressed for release
- working with all of my collaborators (to make awesome videos, shoot with photographers, design cool merch, etc)
- the attainment and maintenance of all live show and recording gear and instruments
- touring in a city near you!
I've set up different Reward Tiers on the right side of my page, so you can basically get as much or as little as you want, depending on how much you want to give. Tiers listed are $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 a month (GASP). Of course, these are all "$1 and up, $5 and up". You can give $3 a month, $17 a month. Whatever feels good. You can also swap out your level of patronage month to month as you choose, to vary the sorts of rewards you receive.
- early access to all content I release (songs, videos, photos, lyrics, etc) -- YOU GET EVERYTHING BEFORE THE PUBLIC
- access to all "patron-only" content
- a once monthly online show free for patrons
- a once monthly, patron-only song recording, listenable on my Patreon site. I will not release these recordings ANYWHERE ELSE
- you name listed in the credits on my album, at the end of videos....
- direct downloads of monthly patron-only songs, emailed right to you
- discounts on Girl Blue merchandise
- free merchandise
- free downloads of ALL my music
- free CD's/Vinyl's upon release
- a one-on-one 30 minute voice lesson, songwriting lesson, or lesson in which I teach you how to play one of my songs
- a one-on-one Skype to chat about music, the weather, whatever....
- a HOUSE SHOW (for you ballers out there) -- I come to you and play for you and all your friends!
Check out the right side of the page for those specific details!
Understandable. Here are some frequent questions folks have about Patreon:
Am I committed to a certain amount of months? N.O. NO. You can come and go as you please. You can subscribe for 1 month and decide it's not for you, or you can subscribe for 43 months and then decide you're done. No big deal.
Do I have to give the same amount of money each month? Nope! You can change your patronage level at ANY time. Let's say you give $5 a month regularly, but you want to have one voice lesson with me. You can change your subscription for 1 month only to $50 a month, have the voice lesson, and then switch back to that $5 a month. (Be sure to let me know your intention so I can reaffirm that you're not overcharged).
Do I HAVE to become a Patron to hear your music now? What if I can't afford it? Bro, it's FINE. All Girl Blue music is available on Spotify and Youtube, and will continue to be. Patreon is for fans who want extra. Unreleased tracks, early access, special online concerts and giveaways, all that fancy stuff. If you can't afford it, no worries. You still get Girl Blue albums and videos.
It's cool. I feel that way a lot. If you have more direct questions, please FEEL FREE to send me a message here. If you have a question about Patreon more generally, you can reach out to them directly by clicking here.