Welcome and InformationHail and welcome to The Hearth of Britannia's Patreon campaign, I'm Rustic Dragon, the founder and proprietor of The Hearth. The Hearth of Britannia is a virtual home for wayward Ultima Dragons and fans of Lord British video games. Additionally, The Hearth of Britannia (notice the italics?) is the name of the unofficial Ultima companion cookbook project that started it all. Your contributions have already helped The Hearth reach the goal of moving into a space where project has begun again (thank you)! This Patreon will serve as the official blog for The Hearth of Britannia (with updates pushed to the main website after vetting, proofing, and finalization).
Primary Goal (Met!)A Place of My Own Again: $3,500 (Goal met!)
- Cookbook Research & Development (re)Commences!
- Dragonsmeets return!
- Live streaming for backers begins!
Secondary Goal (Met!)Glowforge Pro: $6,250 (Goal met via personal loan)
Design and create unique, high quality laser cut/engraved Ultima/SotA/Hearth of Britannia products for use as:
- Trinkets at events such as HoBLotH
- Hearth of Britannia themed promotional products
- Large trinkets for sale suitable for decoration for major fans and collectors
Because I am no longer saving for large goals, I am taking the amount I would have saved each month and putting it toward backing other creators on Patreon. This allows me to cover hosting costs and experiment with recipes while also supporting the community at large that we're all a part of. THANK YOU! <3
Tertiary Goal (This goal is on hold!)A Vehicle: $11,500 total ($0 of $8,000 saved)
- Visit farms, events, and reenactors for research into Hearth appropriate cooking techniques
- Assist in acquiring ingredients and supplies for research
- Visit backers and friends to test recipes together!
This goal is currently on hold as I'm currently in a place where I do not immediately need a vehicle and I am happier spending the extra money supporting other creators.
Progress toward this goal, including my own contributions, will be made transparent.
Progress Toward Goal: $0 of $8,000
The CookbookThe project where everything began. Once a place of my own is secured, development can continue on the much anticipated companion cookbook. The Hearth of Britannia will be a full illustrated, companion cookbook to the Ultima series containing a real-world recipe for every reference to food in all single-player Ultima games. Addenda for Ultima Online and Shroud of the Avatar and on the drawing board.
My goal is to have this ready for print within five years.
HoBLARPThe next logical step for the basic rule sets implemented for HoBLotH II and III. The present plan is to expand the rules into a full LARP system including classes, advancement, and an online tool to save and track characters. Additionally, HoBLARP is planned to ultimately allow local sub-chapters to form which will help me offset the vetting of attendees to large events (e.g. HoBLotH's) to the trusted leaders of these sub-chapters. HoBLotH IV(!) will fall under the auspices of HoBLARP.
Supporting The Hearth via this Patreon will allow you to follow and influence the development of this LARP system!
My goal is to have this out of alpha testing within a year and out of beta within two years.
As I can work on this during my long daily commutes, HoBLARP development will begin immediately.
DragonsmeetsSemi-monthly Google+ hangouts for fans of Ultima, Shroud of the Avatar, Origin Systems, and Lord British games returned in February 2017, thank you!
AccomplishmentsSince our official founding in early 2013, The Hearth of Britannia has populated an impressive list of accomplishments:
- The Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter Celebration: The very first official Hearth run event, the celebration was a live-streamed dinner party using authentic Hearth of Britannia recipes to celebrate the successful Kickstarting of Shroud of the Avatar. During the stream, we let viewers observe the kitchen activities, told viewer's fortunes Ultima VI style with potions, interviewed some of the Portalarium staff, and gave away generously donated prizes. This event came to be known as the first Hearth of Britannia Dragonsmeet and set the tone and demand for all future meets.
- Dragonsmeets: Semi-weekly Google+ hangouts for fans of Ultima, Shroud of the Avatar, Origin Systems, and Lord British games. Twenty-four Dragonsmeets occurred before logistical considerations put them on hiatus in 2014. We're hoping to remedy that soon!
- Hearth of Britannia Telethon of the Avatar (HoBTotA): This is the event that arguably put The Hearth on the community's radar. The HoBTotA was the world's first entirely fan-run fundraiser for a high-budget commercial video game. Despite not reaching the audacious goal of raising $1,000,000 in a single day, with sponsorship from Unity and the help of many folks in the community at-large, this 24 hour live-streamed event raised $12,999 in a single day for Shroud of the Avatar. This live-streamed event included interviews, competitions, prize drawings, musical performances, discussions, and much more. A custom set of Ultima themed Virtue cards and "Legends of Ultima" cards were created as rewards for this event.
- Shroud of the Avatar Lords of the Manor Dinner: One of the rewards for Lords of the Manor, the highest pledge level Kickstarter backers for Shroud of the Avatar, is to attend an event at Britannia Manor IV in NYC with Lord British. I was asked to prepare a special meal for the very first of these events.
- Hearth of Britannia Lords of the Hearth (HoBLotH): A month after NYC, we opened home home for a weekend long semi-LARP event in Indianapolis that served the same meal that was designed for the Lords of the Manor event described above. For this event, one did not have to be a $10,000 backer of Shroud of the Avatar, one simply had to make it to Indianapolis (wearing appropriate garb, of course). The food was copious, the libations were flowing, the boffers were boffering, and a grand time was had by all. Special guests included Tracy Hickman (in person) and Lord British and other Portalarium staff via Google+ Hangouts.
- Hearth of Britannia Legends of the Hearth (HoBLotH II): Clocking in at over 200 prep hours, this event was the largest, most complex, and possibly only Ultima LARP event in history (until HoBLotH III, of course). With a budget of over $12,000, The Hearth put on a weekend long quest for 40 attendees with a star studded NPC cast of over 20 former Origin staff members. Attendees were tasked with attaining Avatarhood through mastery of the eight Virtues (or through the eight alternate Virtues of Mandrake!) Questers spent the fully catered weekend engaged in intellectual puzzles, dances, feasts, battles, rabbles, and even a concert by the The Spacebards (a.k.a. Recap). A double-sided cloth map, debossed coin bag, laser engraved ankh, and custom journal were created for this event.
- Hearth of Britannia Lifeblood of the Hearth (HoBLotH III): Taking the lessons learned from HoBLotH II and embracing the magic of delegation, The Hearth returned to Austin, TX in 2016 to put on an even larger event with the same budget as the previous incarnation. This time lasting five days and hosting a whopping 80+ players and NPC's, The Hearth put the power of quest creation in the hands of the players creating the largest, most immersive, and engaging Ultima (and SotA!) LARP experience to date. Similar to HoBLotH II, a unique double-sided cloth map, debossed coin bag, special trinket, and custom journals were created.