Here Be Tygers & Friendsis creating books, podcasts & storytelling classes
Early and often exclusive access to all the stuff that I write+
- Key illustrations, concept art and ideas
- Myths and legends of the world and what drives it (over ten years worth)
- Other ways the work has come to life (short stories, screenplays, etc.)
And my eternal thanks in the final draft.
Additional content for our fans with Creators of all kinds+
- Early or exclusive access to new and bonus episodes of all our shows
- Your favorite short tales read by the HBT hosts and our friends (just add $5 more when you subscribe)
- Full access to the HBT Discord server, where you can share your work and meet other creative kinds
plus all previous rewards.
(A special reward tier for early students and the like)
Early enrollment in our online workshop, for anyone who has a tale to write+
- Meets three times a month, by Discord
- You choose how many sessions you’d like (e.g. $20/month for two sessions, $30/month for three)
- For new and experienced Creators—novelists, webcomic artists, video game or screenplay writers—of all kinds
plus all previous rewards.
About Here Be Tygers & Friends
Who am I?
“There are some who are too ‘full of fire’, and some who dream ‘too much’. And then you have what happens when there is a ‘child of more’...
- Orlando, a soldier, to Connor, his new ‘squire’, on the different times for war...
A writer, journalist, podcast host and occasional real life person. I try not to write for myself, but rather, with the hope that you can find something of worth--of the characters, their dreams and desires--to make your own.
My first book, And Then the Castle Died, had only one line, written entirely on the final page. The rest were filled with crayon knights and their squires, sages, and a castle building toward the sky. I went door to door with it when I was five and made sure every copy sold was signed.
Hopefully, this new one will have a few more.
About the Story
“There's a secret every fire tells when you first light it: 'keep me warm,' it says, 'and I'll give you life'.”
- Joseph the abbad, Adam's father, on raising a child
Here Be Tygers is a tale of memory, loss, and the flow of time. Mostly though, it's about two friends, Adam and Connor--one who's owed a wish, and one who wants to save a life--and how they hope to 'make things right.’
But the tale they're in has older roots than either know, and they soon find themselves confronted by the things they've tried before, both in the war where they 'first' met and in the one last journey that they undertake to find their home.
“I’d rather be a ‘prince of hell’ than the King to well-intended monsters.”
- Letter from A. to C.S., bearing the royal crest, on the eve of a rebellion
I’ve been writing since I was two. There are times when I’ve tried not to: in theaters or at weddings, as I was waiting for portions of my spine to be fused. Sometimes I don’t eat. Or sleep. Or I walk outside and soak or freeze because I have to write. And the story or the characters, the world of Tygers, are too alive to let me be.
Mostly though? I just want to share the joy I find in their stories—in their longings for home and for a better life; in the choices they make and the world they’ve survived-—with you.
And Patreon is the best way for you, the awesome fan, to interact with and directly support the artists—illustrators, podcasters, musicians, writers, Creators of all kinds—that you like. All in return for equally awesome (and often exclusive) rewards.
Here’s What You’ll Receive
At the end of the day, the story and what it means to you are what’s dearest to me, so I wanted to make sure that every patron (even the folks who can only afford $1 a month) has access to it, from first drafts to final.
Everything above and beyond that: what goes on behind the tale, exclusive podcast episodes, Discord access, the group and individual writing/storytelling classes—you can choose as you wish.
And for those who’d prefer to like, smile or share, that’s cool, too. With enough support, there will be plenty of content here for you.
My thanks. Patreon may give me a home for the writing, but the story only lives in the moment you find it.
So thank you, my friend.
I hope you enjoy your stay by the fire.
Huzzah! At $150/month, every Patron will receive an illustrated and signed thank you note.