What is HyphenHyphen is a news and culture magazine, media outlet and community partner that illuminates Asian America through hard-hitting investigative features on the cultural and political trends shaping the fastest-growing ethnic population in the country. We offer in-depth profiles of change-makers in our community and a window into the world of artists and writers who are re-envisioning and rewriting what it means to be Asian American. Through balanced and incisive reporting and sometimes irreverent commentary, we relate the enormous richness, contradiction, and vitality that defines the Asian American experience to stimulate debate, raise awareness, and build bridges within and beyond our own community.
Our 2016 GoalsFor over a decade, Hyphen has been the go-to-voice and thought-leader for broad Asian American experiences. We report from a culturally specific perspective maintaining that the space of Asian America is a political position where a range of social and political issues intersect.
2016 Theme: Intersections. Hyphen is a space where perspectives of Asian Americans are forefronted and we acknowledge that issues significant to broad Asian American experiences, such as immigration, education, mental health and gentrification also intersect with many other underrecognized communities. We are all about intersectionality and positioning the Asian American experience as one that crosses paths with many others. Intersections will be our 2016 theme and we will cover it throughout the year with a myriad of stories. We plan to:
- Publish Issue 30: Intersections, our print magazine featuring journalism, creative writing, and art that explores our theme
- Print 1,000 copies of the magazine that will be given to all those who donate $2 or more a month through this campaign
- Publish regular online content that addresses this theme to be shared and broaden the conversation on how intersectionality plays out in our community
- Hold events that build community and create opportunities to connect with each other
- Launch the hashtag #AAintersections to engage people around the country to talk about the intersections they navigate in their lives
Political Writer’s Fellowship. 2016 is an election year so now it is more imperative than ever to support independent media. In the 2012 election, Asian voter turnout was the lowest for all racial groups, despite our growing population. We want to create a Political Writer’s Fellowship that would:
- Support 2 journalists in providing crucial coverage of the 2016 election from an Asian American perspective
- Create a bi-monthly column on our blog leading up to the election
- Provide a stipend of $1,500 for 4 months