A Year in Trust
In October I got frustrated with my financial situation and once again tried the quick fix of going out and getting the secure well-paying full time job. Well, it didn’t work—it never does. You would think I had gotten the message by now. I then decided I would take a week, trust that I am being taken care of by something bigger than myself, and just receive—this means, let things come to me rather than go out seeking. It’s a practice of listening, being willing, and doing whatever footwork is required. Well, within a week all the bills I had been concerned about were paid and I had money coming in that would cover the next month’s bills too. Hmmmm...
This isn’t the first time I have tried this. In Recovery I am told that my higher power is my employer so two years ago I decided on a month by month basis that I would write down what I was going to do or focus on that month and that I expected my HP to provide x amount of income. It always worked-- when I remembered to do it;) During that time I somehow was also able to fundraise, pre-produce, and produce and independent feature film for which I am not being paid but I still had enough. Hmmmm…
So I have decided that rather than continuing to fight the good fight, I will practice acceptance and faith (this is a different kind of internal fight) and I will set out on a year long journey of Receiving. I am calling it “A Year in Trust”.
Here’s the manifesto:
Faith in something larger than ourselves providing us with what we need to live a fulfilling and productive life span across wisdom traditions: from monks making the morning rounds with their alms bowls to the Christian prayer “give us this day our daily bread” to tribesman setting out for long journeys with nothing but the faith that what they need will be provided along the way.
- Higher Power Reliant
- No hustle. Hustle deinfed as forceful actions, creation of business to make $$. (STUCK hustles allowed.)
- Do not seek: receive, discern, and act
- Higher Power is my co-producer
- Be me, not who I think I need to be for others. And trust that that is enough to attract resources and people to my life.
- Something has to come off the plate if I want to put something new on it.
- Half time job
- Movie Residuals
- Acting Agent
- Patreon Patrons!
- My big old brain and diversity of experience and skillset
- STUCK: feature film currently in post-production
- Smart Cookies w/Jenni Tooley: web-based interview series
- Getting Stuck UnSTUCK: a book which follows my 20-year process of making the movie
- A Year in Trust: Audio Something
I use Patreon as a clearinghouse for all of my artistic work and as a place where people can interact with me on a personal level and support me directly. It's my mini-philanthropy page. And right now everyone has the same access no matter what subscription level they choose because I want to support the idea that anyone can be a patron of the arts or a philanthropist no matter what income level they identify at. I also use this page as a Brain Trust and ask for your opinions and insights.
What you will find on my Patreon page:
- I am not going to try to automate my creativity so some weeks I may post nothing while others I may post multiple things.
- All of my posts/projects/pursuits will be made available here. Whether it's a blog from my website, posts from other social media outlets, live events, etc.
- participate in audience tests for STUCK (my feature film in process)
- My STUCK travel journal in 2019
- Artist process series like "how a STUCK song is born"
- First drafts or first releases of stories/books
- Any little creative projects I do
- Who knows! It will be a surprise!
- Insane amounts of content created solely to "keep people hooked"
I am deeply grateful for and respect each of you for supporting my work. I hope that you will walk alongside me on this journey and that I can somehow inspire you to follow your own guidance and live the life that you are meant to live if you are not already doing so.