When my father came to my room and raped me in the middle of the night when I was a child, his hands were around my neck, choking me to silence whenever I would start to cry out so I wouldn't wake anyone else in the house. He choked me until I passed out, and when I came to after he'd finished, he told me he would kill me if I ever told anyone.
Now, through my writing, I've told the world. See, for example, my autobiographical novella, Preludes: A Story of Child Sexual Abuse from a Child's Perspective in a Middle Class American Family, available for free download at the Amazon Kindle store (link for the US Kindle store) and other ebook stores.
As a child, I was deprived, literally, of my breath and my voice by my abuser in his efforts to enforce my silence about the abuse. That's why now, for me, writing can feel as essential as the act of breathing. As I mention in my welcome video, through my writing, I seek – whether literally or metaphorically, explicitly or by suggestion – to give breath to:
– depictions of unvarnished reality, and in all its complexity, on issues as challenging and vital as CSA, climate change, and more;
– visions of the future as they might ideally or nightmarishly unfold;
– utilizations of these utopian and dystopian visions, while exploring personal and societal journeys of healing and enlightenment, to suggest a way forward, or ways forward, for humankind to create a better, more enlightened world.
And I seek to do these things as, all the while, I explore various dialectics – of despair and hope, escapism and engagement, and others – that are part and parcel of the human condition.
But to accomplish these objectives through my writing, I need adequate supplies of time, focus, and energy.
And that's where you – by backing me on Patreon – come in.
If you haven’t already and would like to know about me and my writing, please visit my site – johnbrookswriting.com . For now I'm making all or most of my content free, so don't hesitate to follow the links to my fiction, poetry, and other work.)
And when it comes to supporting me and my writing, "small-donation" means the smallest donation possible: just one dollar (US) a month.
Put another, quite personal way (see "ABOUT ME" above), when it comes to my writing, your patronage helps me breathe.
Writing is all about time, energy, and focus – having enough of these to brainstorm the content (or, more often, let the content to come to you), develop it through outlines and drafts, and then complete and publish the final version.
Your support helps empower this process. To the degree that you and others back me on Patreon, I'm freed to devote additional time, energy, and focus to my writing, which I hope will continue to prove worthy of your support.
(And, as I mention elsewhere, whatever the number of my supporters and monetary level of my support, the backing of my patrons provides me invaluable motivation for my writing, for which I'm deeply grateful.)
– updates on current projects and writing-related activities;
– observations and musings from my daily life, external and internal, that resonate in one way or another with my writing;
– posts on central thematic interests of my writing, including child sexual abuse and climate change;
– where-I'm–at–now video updates on my writing life;
– my personal take on material I've published;
– explorations of my personal journey of healing presenting photos, letters, and other artifacts from my family history, along with my accompanying commentary.
– Readings and real-time revisions of work in progress.
– Advance releases of my readings of my published poetry, fiction, and other work.
If this sounds good to you, and you find my writing otherwise worthy, then please tap or click the "BECOME A PATRON" button on this page and follow the simple steps to become my patron for just one dollar a month.
Thank you for your consideration, and, if you choose, for your support.