We also wrote and drew Lucky Penny, a book-length story about a plucky girl with exceptionally bad luck. She's also a big fan of romance novels:
We first became known for our autobio comics,
We have work in print! We've self-published several books:
- Johnny Wander V1: Don't Burn the House Down
- Johnny Wander V2: Escape to New York
- Johnny Wander V3: Ballad of Laundry Cat
- CUTTINGS: A Johnny Wander Collection
and have worked together & separately freelancing w/ a wide range of publishers:
- Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Omnibus (Oni Press)
- Lucky Penny (Oni Press)
- BUZZ! - drawn by Tessa Stone (Oni Press)
- Adventure Time: Candy Capers (BOOM!)
- The Bootlegger in Marceline & The Scream Queens (BOOM!)
- Callie Eats Feathers in Dark Horse Presents #5 (Dark Horse)
- Revenge of Dr. Dinosaur in Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures #1 - written by Brian Clevinger (Red5)
- Exquisite Beast (Benign Kingdom)
- Spring 2012 Art Book: Yuko Ota (Benign Kingdom)
- Manga Math Mysteries #3: The Secret Ghost (Lerner Publishing)
- Twisted Journeys: Detective Frankenstein (Lerner Publishing)
- Yo Gabba Gabba: Comic Book Time (Oni Press)
You'll notice that one of those lists is much bigger than the other! In the past we've thrown ourselves into freelance and have come to the realization: for us, industry comics don't pay the bills. Over-committing to both freelance and personal work is also the major reason Yuko has been dealing with years of chronic wrist pain.
Since 2009, the majority of our income has always come from our self-published work and the support of our readers, and we'd like to return to that! In 2015, we want to come back to our personal work with renewed focus! By supporting our Patreon, you're giving us the flexibility we need to develop and grow as creators, and by lessening Yuko's workload into a reasonable 8-hour workday, her wrist will have time to heal.
This is also a good chance to share something fun and exciting with you, our readers! Let's hang out and make some good comics!