I have a long history with gaming magazines. I love 'em. I worked as a staff writer (under various pseudonyms) for Shadis Magazine, wrote a regular GM Advice column for Pyramid Magazine (Play Dirty), and co-wrote a series of articles for Wolfgang Bauer's Award-Winning Kobold Quarterly.
I miss regular gaming magazines, so I'm making one of my own. Wicked Words Magazine is a regular outlet for GM Advice, adventures, stories, game design articles, interviews and guest writers. It's a magazine like the kind we used to read.
Inside each issue of Wicked Words Magazine, you'll find regular features and some non-standard articles. Each issue includes at least two of the following:
Play Dirty: GM Advice
In this regular feature of Play Dirty articles, I use my own experiences as a GM to illustrate key "Play Dirty Principles." These articles are similar to those printed in Pyramid Magazine and the Play Dirty collection.
Wicked Words Magazine also includes systemless genre-specific adventures for GMs to adapt for their own group. And, perhaps, we will also be able to write up system-specific adventures. Time will tell.
Every once in a while, I get an itch to make a "little game" such as Cat, Discordia, Eldritch High and The Shotgun Diaries. I'll be publishing many little games in the pages of Wicked Words Magazine, giving subscribers the opportunity to give feedback, playtest and see these games before anyone else.
RPGS: An Oral History
I've established a lot of friendships in the game industry. A lot of folks who have stories to tell. Wicked Words Magazine is a place for them to tell those stories. As gamers, we know precious little about our history. I want to change that.
One of the more popular seminars I give at conventions is the "Play Dirty Q&A" where you ask direct questions and I give you direct answers. Subscribers get the opportunity to send in questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
Guest Writers & Collaborators
Hopefully, we will also be able to acquire guest writers. They'll share their own gaming experiences as both GMs and as players. Also, I'll be looking to interview game masters and game designers, working with them to write adventures and provide you insight into their own styles.
HOW DOES THIS WORK?
Once a month, I will release Wicked Words Magazine with at least two of the main articles as an e-zine (probably 20+ pages) and send it to backers as a PDF. Between issues, our backers' feedback will help me decide what to put into the next issue.
Subscribers pay $2.99 an issue. That's for Play Dirty advice, full adventures, short stories, little games, supplements for existing games and a whole lot more.
After we release each issue to our backers, non-backers can acquire back issues for $3.99 a piece. Thus, subscribers get $1.00 off cover price.
HOW CAN I HELP?
If you've made it this far, that means you're interested. Let me turn that interest into opportunity.
If you pledge $2.99 per issue, you'll receive every issue of Wicked Words Magazine as it is released as well as access to ALL BACK ISSUES.
If you are ever dissatisfied with an issue of Wicked Words Magazine, let me know and I'll refund your pledge, no questions asked. We guarantee satisfaction or your money back.
WHAT'S BEEN IN SO FAR?
Subscribers have gotten a bunch of issues full of goodies including:
- Eight Episodes of Play Dirty
- Heroes & Villains. A Super-Powered RPG inspired by the Champions campaign in Play Dirty.
- A Little Game called Secret about modern magic.
- Houses of the Blooded: Slumming. A Complete HotB supplement.
- Return to Orkworld. An ongoing series rebuilding my first solo project from 1999.
- Santa Vaca. A completely unorthodox re-design of the world's most Popular RPG using only the character sheet.
- Secrets of the Elk. For Houses of the Blooded, a min-sourcebook on the House of the Elk including new character creation rules and other stuff.
- ... Not Dead Yet! A comic strip about two orks in a 10x10 room and the mysteries of what lies beyond that locked door.
- Two Savage Worlds Settings! Atlas and Full Dark.
- Vancian. A meta-magic system for all roleplaying games.
- The Inverse Law of Ninjas. Not a roleplaying game.
- Temple of the Sacred Harlot. A new RPG for consenting adults.
- Short Stories! One Last Drink, Black Rose Wagers and Zhero
- ... AND MORE TO COME!
So decide on your level of commitment and join us!
This is a new adventure for me and hopefully, you can come along!