I'm doing illustrated educational content about the Viking age and have been posting content regularly on a weekly basis for almost two years now on my website (and else where).
There is a lot of knowledge about the Viking age out there, but most of it is really hard to get to or very difficult to consume. I'd like to change that!
That's why I've set out to explore and cover the Viking age through easy to digest illustrated content, that goes right to the core of the subject matter based on the work of really smart and educated scholars.
I believe that knowledge should be freely obtainable and I'd like to keep my content available for free online for everybody no matter your means and privileges. But to do that I need your help!
If you enjoy the content I produce and if you'd like to see more of it in the future I'd kindly ask you to please consider supporting my work by becoming a patron.
The Anatomy of Viking Art
Since January 2017 I've been working on a series of articles on Viking age art available for free on my website that I'm turning into a book this fall. The series explores the seven stylistic periods of the Viking age ornamental art, their stylistic traits and how they are constructed. It's meant to be a useful resource both as a field guide to identify the individual styles, but also if you want to recreate the styles yourself.
I'll be sharing drafts of the book with all patrons here on Patreon and all patrons will get the book a whole month before everyone else.
The Younger Futhark
I'm currently working on illustrating the names of the Younger Futhark and ultimately making an infographic which also shows all 16 runes and their variants, what they sounded like and what that transliterates into in modern English.
I'll be posting a new illustrated rune every week and patrons here on Patreon will get to see the new runes a week before everyone else.
There is still a lot of projects I'd like to take on and subjects I'd love to explore and cover – Enough to keep me busy for years!
- Historical timelines of the Viking age (infographic style).
- Colours of the Vikings – An infographic of what colours the Vikings used, what they were made of and how they were used.
- Norse Mythology – Infographics and illustrations on the mythological and religious world of the Vikings.
- Viking age environments – Educational illustrations of the environments of villages, fortresses, cult houses, farmhouses, market-places etc..
- Viking age artefacts – Educational illustrations of the clothes, tools, tents, wagons and sledges, weapons etc..
- The preceding art styles – Articles/Book on the ornamental styles of the art in the centuries preceding the Viking age (kind of a prequel to the Anatomy of Viking Art book).
- ...and much, much more!
$1 — Early access
You'll get early access to all the content I produce and insights into my creative process while I'm creating new content.
- Get the upcoming eBook a month before everyone else.
- Get next weeks Weekly Illustration here on Patreon a week before everyone else on the web.
- See drafts and sketches of upcoming content (including the book).
- Be the first to know of any announcements.
$5 — Hi-res images
You'll get all of the above plus Hi-res image and vector files (scalable) of all the Weekly Illustrations I post online.
You can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don't sell them as they are without incorporating them into your own project or take credit for the design. Print posters, make wallpapers, convert them into woodwork, get them tattooed on your skin, craft Viking-styled Yule-ornaments or whatever you like.
- Hi-res images in JPG.
- Scalable vector files in PDF.
$10 — Have a say
You'll get all of the above plus a vote in editorial decisions.
I'll do polls on decisions like what illustration would you like on the cover of the upcoming book? Should my next project be around the mythology of the Vikings? Historical events? or more on how to construct Viking ornamental artwork? And you will get a very special thank you and mentioned by name in the upcoming book.
- Get to vote on editorial decisions.
- Get credited in the book.
$XX — How can I help you?
I'd love to know what else you would like to see. Let me know what additional rewards you would like and what you think they are worth and hopefully, I'll be able to make it happen! :)