Kingston J. Kingsleyis creating a Hot Mess of Philosophy & Art
Select a membership level
PAY AS YOU FEEL!* - Use the custom donation button below if the price ain't right, all that matters here is knowing you gave me the 2 minute needed to show your support <3
Whatever you're comfortable contributing, becoming a patron gives you:
Whatever you're comfortable contributing, becoming a patron gives you:
- Official title of Rocket Scientist - Get your own special place on the thank you page as an honorary Rocket Scientist!
- Voting Power for the coming month's 'destination' for the Blog - Help guide the direction of this crazy rocket of ideas, by giving your vote for one of the shortlisted topics for the month.
- Contributor Status - We want to hear what you have to say! Add your voice to the blog; as long as it fits the theme, all perspectives and mediums are welcomed-- and there's no such thing as an amateur.
- The Password to my Cultivation resource - An ongoing pet philosophy project of mine, I've been compiling all the sources of wisdom and wonder I've come across over the years, from guidance toward cultivating a mindful, intentional existence, to brain-tickling science and art-- you get the key!
- My Eternal Undying Gratitude and the warm fuzzies, for going out of your way to show your support for a struggling writer, for creative thinking, and for all the artists and community members involved! YOU'RE THE BEST!
- Place on Thank-you Page
- Exclusive Voting Power
- Password to Cultivation Resource
- Contributor Status
- Community Member
For going above and beyond in your support for philosophy, art, and struggling philosophers and artists, you'll get:
- All the wonderful perks of being a Rocket Scientist, but the (sacred) title of Rocket Surgeon instead;
- Your own personalised Thank-You Haiku, written by yours truly, and displayed on the 'Rocket Scientists' Hall Of Fame on TRS;
- Sneak peeks and Inside-scoops into the artistic processes, of both my own writing and of those who contribute to the blog; be it pre-release material from my book, or unpublished artwork and writing.
- Plus any extras I can think to throw in! It's this kind of selfless support that helps creativity flourish in an economy-driven world, so I will do everything I can to return your generosity tenfold.
- All of the perks of being a Rocket Scientist, plus...
- Thank-You Haiku
- Behind-the-scenes Content
- Unique Mystery Rewards
Do you ever have QUESTIONS that run a little deeper than just which sandwich should I buy?
Do you ever get touched by a profound, gnawing, existential angst over the ways things are versus how they should be?
Well, Hi. My name is Kingston, and I'm the author/curator behind The Rocket Surgery.
Philosophy is my 'thing'-- but not philosophy as you may know it, in its academic and over-intellectualised form, I'm talking Phylos Sophie: the love of wisdom. In its original form, philosophy was a skill or art like any other and accessible to anyone; it was intended as a way to formalise our natural human wondering into a school of thought, to actually try and find 'answers' to the unique form of questions that come with our reflective minds.
My own stormy past has taught me that our minds are both our prisons and our liberators when it comes to our joy and contentment, and the mess of my adolescent years pushed me into discovering just how life-changing thinking critically about one's life can be. Reflecting on my existence, trying to 'learn life', liberated me from the destructive and anxiety-inducing thought habits the world had imposed on me.
Because of this, I believe that in this chaotic age of information overload, of anxiety and isolation, if more people recognised the power and importance of the kind of self-reflection that philosophy originally aimed to nurture, the world would be a much better place. And, moreover, that neither education, background, nor money should ever be an obstacle to it, for the more people that participate in it, the more we all benefit.
So I'm doing my best to encourage open discussion and reflection over life's more puzzling or painful subjects, such as: death, sexuality, 'the self', drugs, contentment, anxiety, time, money, fame, the quest for meaning...
I'm doing this two ways:
- By writing a book, called 'Saying Nothing', which is an exploration into how language shapes the way we think, and the rhythms that appear when we learn to 'unthink' the habits enforced on us. It is an ode to the beauty of this crazy existence, and the power of 'being present'.
- By curating and writing for The Rocket Surgery (TRS), an art and philosophy blog that calls on thinkers from any discipline - from writers to artists to dancers and fingerpainters - to put their unique responses to the issues that affect us all.
The purpose of this Patreon is to build a community of forward-thinkers, to bring together everyone and anyone interested in encouraging a little more wisdom in the world.
Becoming a Patron means:
1. Taking part in The Rocket Surgery, and all its perks (see below),
2. Supporting me and my projects, and
3. Helping spread some wisdom and positive thinking!
Where Your Money Goes:
- To making TRS as amazing as possible; asides from the upkeep costs of running a website, the more support it
gets, the more time I can afford to put into it, meaning the bigger we
can afford to dream:
- More guest contributors (able to be rewarded with more than just the warm fuzzies!),
- Contributor Q&As,
- Online or Real-world discussion meetups, art collaboration projects...
- Physical prints of art/writing from the blog sold on the site,
- Talks, a festival, a podcast, an actual rocket... you decide.
- To helping a self-employed
maniacwriter achieve his dreams, and motivating him to work better and harder, and helping him launch his first book (Saying Nothing) .
The Rocket Surgery - (More about the site here)
Anyone can view the blog content on TRS, and anyone is welcome to pose questions or provide suggestions,
but if you really want to join the journey you need to get involved by becoming a patron!
Money sucks, and should never be an obstacle to knowledge or art, so I've set the bar as low as possible while still promoting some sense of investment in a community.
Just a token donation of £1 (and 2 minutes!) gives you full access to the community, and makes you an official Rocket Scientist!
Taking a minute of your time, to pay whatever you feel*, means you can:
- Officially call yourself a Rocket Scientist - Get your own special place on the Thank You page as an honorary Rocket Scientist.
- Vote for the coming month's 'destination' for the Blog - Help guide the direction of this crazy rocket of ideas, by giving your vote for one of the shortlisted topics for the month.
- Contribute your voice to the blog - As long as it fits the theme, all perspectives and mediums are welcomed-- and there's no such thing as an amateur!
- Have access to the weekly maildrop - The 'Empty Words' newsletter is filled with stuff to get you thinking, and to encourage a little joy; it's a weekly dose of wisdom and inspiration in the form of a hand-curated collection of big ideas, questions to ponder, interesting reads, inside scoops, project updates, quips and bits...
Check out the Tiers at the top of the page for more details .
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION,
THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU AND MUDDLIN' ON THROUGH--
KEEP DOIN' WHAT YOU DO!
Recent posts by Kingston J. Kingsley
How it works
Get started in 2 minutes
Choose a membership
Add a payment method