I've been writing for 17 years. In that time, I've been responsible for 3 novels and over 80 stories. I've been a winner in the international 'Writers of the Future' competition, and been awarded the Aurealis, Australian Shadows and Australian SF 'Ditmar' Awards. My most recent novel, Magrit was shortlisted for the New South Wales Premier's Prize, and was awarded a White Raven label by the International Children's Digital Library.
During all of this, I've been the primary breadwinner for my family, which has meant trudging out every day to The Day Job (tm), and fitting my arts practice in around the edges.
But all that's about to change! From February 2018, we'll be living in the wilds of Karratha as my wife pursues a long-held desire to teach. Having left my job to support her, I'll be concentrating on creating my art full-time.
In 2018 and 2019, I'll be working on the following projects:
- Ghost Tracks: a children's book, in which a boy accidentally derails the ghost of a train and must travel to the ghost dimension to make reparation.
- Bear Hunts: a crime novel, in which a reformed small time crook is blackmailed into a heist that goes wrong, and determines to hunt down the mastermind behind it and take revenge.
- The Claws of Native Ghosts and Other Stories: a linked collection of horror stories taking place throughout Western Australian history.
- Tales of Nireym: a fantasy novel about a daughter who runs away, the hidden society she inspires in a patriarchal culture, and the hunt to find her before a brewing rebellion puts her into direct conflict with the Emperor.
- The Canals of Anguilar: a fantasy novel, in which a cadre of cowards discovers a city that can only be found by cowards, and the malevolent force that hunts them down, one by one.
- The Boy from G.O.B.L.I.N: a children's book, in which a homeless child is recruited into the Guild of Beasts that Lurk in the Night, and discovers that the world is not structured the way he thought.
- Antimony Lavage: a children's book, in which a young girl aspires to drive the train that takes the dead from the City to the Necropolis near where she lives, and will do anything to make her aspirations come true.
I'm thrilled to be able to create new works, and to be able to give my patrons access to exclusive content and unique, one-of-a-kind stories as part of this exciting new stage in my career. Your patronage will enable me to produce art both written and visual. In return, you'll receive access to unique content, stories that will be seen only by patrons, and opportunities to set the tone and content of upcoming works.
Thank you to the following patrons, who are willingly to publicly admit that they're joining my on my artistic journey.
Andrew J McKiernan