xoL graphics based programming language
Create videogames, apps, learn to program, etc. With xoL, the coolest programming language available.
This is a small project to create xoL. A graphics based programming language. In which computer programming concepts are represented through graphical elements, instead of text. Graphical elements provide, in theory, a more powerful visualization of programs. That can be more efficient to use than text.
This project intends to deliver xoL as a package that can be used to create videogames, apps, educational software, etc.
Find more on xoL webpage
Sample images here are from older versions of xoL. rev10 will not be shown for now.
xol is a painstaking effort focused on providing the best representation possible to programming concepts, through graphic design. A clean and minimalist design is used to make a simple and clear presentation of the structure of programs.
Some possible advantages of xoL graphical approach over text for programming:
- pieces of data are colorful icons. types are automatically associated to the shapes, instead of ad-hoc words.
- data is arranged in a tidy grid, avoiding the irregularity of words of varying length.
- simple colors quickly signal the nature of the elements of a program.
- lines in the grid emphasize relations between program elements.
- scopes are represented by colored regions vs clumsy indentation of text programs
- avoid typing complex words. Instead choose icons through a graphical interface.
- flexible writing: rearranging icons as the program is fine tuned. this is hard to do with text.
- editing is easier: rearranging icons is easier than rearranging characters
- more flexible flow: expressions flow in a bidimensional grid, rather than confined in unidimensional lines of text.
- icons are easier to read than words. Icons are simpler shapes. A group of icons can more efficiently transmit information than a piece of text.
- colorful icons are more engaging than text.
- less memorization is required. Choose elements from a graphical interface vs remembering text commands.
xoL is an experimentIn theory it sounds like a great idea. But in practice, graphics based languages have not succeeded. xol is an experiment to see if with painstaking design, a graphic based language can succeed. You are invited to help us with this interesting experiment.
Help xoL and be a supporter of innovation in programming language design
Big WarningxoL is an experiment. I believe it will work. I have been working on it for a long time. The current design is the result of multiple design-evaluation iterations. But ultimately what will determine if it is a success, is if it is more usable than text based languages, for a large group of people. This project is an exploration of that. Enjoy the journey, as much as the arrival.
RewardsDepending on how successful the xoL project is, we will figure ways to reward supporters.
Thanks for reaching here
my github page
xoL first prototype (obsolete now)
xoL Copyright © 2015-2017 lignixz.