I never imagined how amazing and inspiring Love Her Wild would become! The community was set up to provide opportunities and support to help more women find adventure in their lives. In such a competitive and judgmental outdoor scene, I wanted to create different space where women, regardless of confidence and abilities, could gain the benefits of going on adventures.
In the time since launching, Love Her Wild has achieved lots. Amongst other things, we have paddled women the width of the UK picking up plastic, taught bushcraft skills, run 5 successful mentor partnerships, celebrated dozens of female adventure successes and inspired many more to take their first steps.
But the best part of it all is the supportive and loving community of women in our private Facebook group. We don't judge. We encourage, congratulate and celebrate. And that's pretty special!
THE REALITY OF RUNNING LOVE HER WILD
It's time for me to be transparent, as I always promise to be!
There is a lot of work that goes into running Love Her Wild...doing interviews, writing new blogs, website maintenance, administrating the group, organising logistics for new adventures and expeditions, planning events, sorting out the legalities of it all (groan)....to name a few!!
If you don't know me yet, I'm Bex Band (that's me below!) and I have almost single-handedly been running Love Her Wild since it launched (special thanks to Gil, Emily, Naomi and Averil though for your help and support along the way). It has become a full-time, (often stressful) sleepless-night, job and actually costs me money to run.
Early 2017 I made a big decision to pull out of an adventure I was planning to do and to take a backseat on my own blog (and career) so that I could give Love Her Wild all the energy and time it deserves.
I haven't regretted it for a second. It's been an incredible journey and I'm so honoured to be a part of the group. But I need to make this sustainable so the community can keep going and growing. Which translates to making money.
I NEED YOUR HELP
Love Her Wild will now have a membership program which will be run via the Patreon website. Members can give as little as $3 (roughly £2) a month and will get a whole host of exciting rewards as a thank you. Check out the rewards section for more information.
The best part though is that by becoming a Love Her Wild member you will be giving back to the community. Your support will allow me to continue focusing on the things that make us so unique that don't earn a penny but need time invested in hem. For example....
- more mentoring programs matching experienced adventurers with those starting out
- a free monthly book club
- another Everest Adventure opportunity to get 'ordinary' women outside doing extraordinary things
- complimentary spaces on our adventures for deserving women (those who can't afford it, have suffered a bereavement, are recovering from ill health, etc)
- our first Love Her Wild retreat so members can get some head space
- conservation focused expeditions
- more advice and inspiration on the website geared specifically for women in adventure
- launching Love Her Wild ambassador of the year
WHAT WILL THE MONEY BE SPENT ON?
Quite rightly, you want to know where your money will be going. Here's how it will be spent. My hope is that eventually, I can build enough Patreon's that all of these costs will be almost entirely covered, with the rest coming from Event revenue:
- Hosting and domain for our website
- MailChimp to keep everyone up-to-date via our regular newsletters
- Insurance so we can run our events and expeditions
- Web development because there is always something that isn't working properly!!!
- Deserving Women Scheme to cover the costs involved so that our adventures and expeditions can be brought to a wider range of deserving women
- A salary to me to admin the group, organise trips, market our community so more women can benefit, amongst other responsibilities - I need to eat and (although I'm currently nomadic) eventually I'd like to be able to afford a roof over my head :)
- An additional employee this is when Love Her Wild moves to the next level and I can bring in an additional person to help run the community!
Thank you for reading, considering and becoming a Patreon!!!