Who am I?
My name is Marisa Wikramanayake. *waves madly* I am a writer, editor and journalist. I first published a book at 17 and now I am trying to get more writing done.
Why am I on Patreon?
I work freelance which means the money doesn't often come in. I occasionally get contract jobs and right now I am covering my rent and bills but if there are costs to submit work to competitions, to pay an editor to go over my work, to attend literary events, to subscribe to literary journals or to even buy my fellow writers' books or support their work then usually I do not have the funds to do so. The recent funding cuts by the Australian government has made things more dire. I also spend a lot of time volunteering with organisations like the union MEAA and Diverse Writers of Australia and Australian Women Writers. If I could get some money for stories and some feedback too, it would help a lot.
What will I spend the money on?
1. Paying an editor a fair rate to edit my work before submission/publication.
2. Costs of attending literary events such as festivals, conferences and book launches.
3. Subscriptions to literary journals to help support them as they try to continue giving writers a platform to publish on.
4. Costs of submissions for competitions & buying & supporting other writers, some via Patreon itself.
5. I would also like to donate some of the money to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation.
What am I writing?
1. A novel titled Sedition that is now in the rewriting/editing stage.
2. A novel titled HIM that is currently in the first draft stage.
3. Short stories - I want to write more of them and I would like to give you one short story a month to read.
4. Poetry - I have a mad idea to have a month of poetry at some point.
What do you get?
- to be the first to read the draft of each novel as I write them in all their unkempt, unedited glory.
- to be the first to offer feedback and tell me what you think.
- to be the first to be involved in any awesome stuff I do around writing, editing and publishing.
- free copies of the final published product whether in e-book or print format.
- photos with me should we meet up.
- shoutouts and thank yous
- the opportunity to brainstorm ideas and ask me about your writing work in Google Hangout chats.
- to be immortalised in fiction by having a character named after you.
- all sorts of other cool things as I think of them. ;)
How can you help?
You can pledge anywhere from $1 to $5 per story/poem/chapter that I post up here.
You can also be a one time donor/patron by cancelling your patronage after the first deduction.
But apart from that, you can also as a patron, interact with me, ask questions, give me feedback and that would be great.
And if you want to help but cannot do it via cash, then what would be cool is if you follow me on Facebook and Twitter and check out my website and chat to me via those networks too.
Much love, Marisa. :)