I'm "Meriah" with an "e"I started my blog 9 years ago, and it's evolved into a primarily cross-disability centered site, by dint of the fact that I am deaf with other disabilities, and my daughter has Down syndrome.
What I post:
- Original essays, photo essays, blog posts, vlogs, reviews and critiques
- Disability-related book reviews, disability-related movie reviews
- Calls to action related to disability/social justice
- Tutorials on new technology, photography and website development
- Voices from the Disability Community: series covering people with disabilities across the disability spectrum
- Guest blog posts by people with disabilities and allies of the disability community regarding disability culture, areas of challenge, and self-care
- Create graphics and media
- Amplify and champion the voices from the disability community through social media
Other things I do:
- Moderate 3 Facebook groups related to disability and writing or the disability experience.
- Create and moderate a forum for people with disabilities and parents of children with disabilities
- Serve as a resource for parents, organizations and companies regarding disability, accommodation, best practices and more
- Curate and promote the award-winning Instagram-based 365 Days with Disability project ("sharing the disability experience one gloriously mundane photo at a time")
- Create art (painting and photography) and integrate those with written pieces and calls to action
"Meriah is the most fearless writer that I have the honor to know. She can speak of disability without stereotype, parenthood without pathos, and her own deepest emotions without self pity."
The way Patreon works is a reader can donate whatever they want per month and the donation is recurring each month after that. So anything, from $1/month up, is hugely appreciated.
What I'll Use Your Money For:
- Hosting. I need a robust enough hosting plan that can support the high spikes in traffic, and also host all the photos.
- MailChimp. The service I use to email posts out to the subscription list. This fee grows as the email list grows.
- Ongoing web development. It's a website, so there is always something going on/needing fixing or work.
- Facebook/Twitter post "boosts". When I announce a new post on Facebook and Twitter, this makes sure that the announcement gets onto 1/3 or 1/2 of my followers' News Feeds.
- My family. That income helps feed and clothe the kids, us, put gas in the tank and more.
- Hire feature writers
- Pay for photo editing sites as well as Creative Cloud
- Tech (computer) and photo updates
When I've hit my goal, I'll be able to take the site to the next level:
Start a weekly vlog
Create video content
Hire more feature writers
Create a forum where you can interact with each other.
Thanks for any support you can offer if you decide to, and thanks for being a reader!