- sapiosexual: (n) A person who is sexually attracted to intelligence or the human mind, one who finds what is smart, intelligent, and thoughtful to be arousing on all levels.
Why, hello there! Welcome to Metaphor Publications' Patreon portal to the fantasy world of Menelon! My name is Alesia Matson, and along with my life partner Michael we'll be giving you, as our patron, first and/or sole access to content about this world and (what we hope you'll think are) the compelling characters who inhabit it. If you've already consumed the first two books of The Raven & The Iris trilogy, you're probably familiar with the protagonists and the city of Fernwall, perhaps less so with the kingdom of Cascadia and the other nations with whom it shares planet space. If you're already a fan, THANK YOU FOR THAT! We are super glad to see you here and hope you'll find much more to enjoy.
What we plan to offer our Patrons and fans on Patreon are the first, exclusive glimpses of an entire culture that has remained hidden from all the other civilized nations of Menelon. Rhtaan differs so wildly from the vaguely Victorian air of Fernwall/Cascadia that even I have to remind myself frequently that they're on the same world.
- As our patrons who are "deep time geeks", you'll find out just what early planetary disaster caused this island chain to be so isolated in the Great Eastern Sea, and the factors that kept them isolated for so long.
- For the anthropological geeks, we'll be talking about who the proto-peoples were that formed the race of humans known as modern U-Rhtaanil.
- Oh yeah - for the language geeks, how about an ever-expanding glossary of Rhtaanil words, complete with a pronunciation guide and examples of their hieroglyphic writing?
- For our fellow cartography geeks, well... I share that love of maps with you and so does Michael. There are already maps. There will be more maps, not only of cities and islands and trade routes, but also building interiors so you can get a real sense of the scope and glamor with which the U-Rhtaanil do almost everything.
- For literature geeks? We can't help telling stories from Menelon, and Rhtaan is no different. We've been on fire with it for months. Here, you'll see our long-form novels serialized for your enjoyment, and also short stories, scenelets, cultural myths and fables, character writeups and backgrounds, and more. Some of this written-word stuff will get turned into spoken-word stuff and produced as audiofiles for Patrons, for their listening pleasure.
- For gamer geeks, we do use tabletop game rules for structure and an attempt at consistency (we reach for a version of FATE, btw. EvilHat Productions is also here on Patreon, which makes me happy). Though we've no plans to publish gaming stuff here on this Patreon, we've got ideas for podcasts and Hangouts where we can spend time answering your questions about how one synergizes fiction and games.
- For world-building geeks, and I know you're out there, this is "world-building" at its finest. We'll be sharing with our Patrons blog posts about the complicated calendar the U-Rhtaanil used to master time, on how a culture uses art to transcend duality/binary oppositions (wait, THIS CULTURE USES ART TO TRANSCEND BINARY OPPOSITIONS? WOW!), what numbers mean to the U-Rhtaanil, why there are nine muses and nine First Ancestors, the economics and politics of Rhtaan, and ever so much more. Not only are we doing this in text, video, and more, we'll be hosting Hangouts for some of our Patrons where we can get right into the nitty-gritty of culture building for fiction and gaming.
- And for music geeks, we'll be commissioning music for you here that reflects the sensuous, indulgent sensibilities of Rhtaan as well as its barbaric splendors. Michael and I both have musical training, and we'll be hosting Hangouts and AMA's to talk about how the music might actually sound (as opposed to my Earth-centric efforts to capture it). Additionally, I'm a playlist junkie and I'll be sharing some of my personal playlists that are being used to "write in Rhtaan" but also reflect its general aura and ambiance, for background listening.
It is your patronage that makes this possible, of course. By patronizing our creation of Rhtaan, you're also helping us get back to finishing the last novel-length book for The Raven & The Iris. Tentatively titled "Seven for a Secret", it is the heart-pounding, nerve-wracking, almost unbearably romantic conclusion of the series, and we look forward with great eagerness to giving you that wrap.
Thank you, again and again, for reading along, and for considering us for your precious Patreon-age. :)
Alesia & Michael