Over a decade ago I co-founded The Boston Babydolls (now The Boston BeauTease) burlesque troupe and created The Boston Academy of Burlesque Education (B.A.B.E.). I love burlesque and all its aspects; I just wish it paid the bills.
I never considered myself a writer. In fact, in all my many years of schooling I loathed writing and was constantly being told I wasn’t any good at it. And yet, writing seemed like the best way to reach my fans, so about 5 years ago I started a blog, Oh the Glamourous Life, a behind-the-scenes look at my not always so glamorous life in burlesque. Besides that, I started reviewing books, reporting on burlesque events, and sharing vintage recipes. And there's my most constant feature, Friday Tips: snippets of advice of all kinds. Think of me as the burlesque Martha Stewart meets the burlesque Miss Manners.
Last year some of my favorite and most useful tips were collected into a book, Miss Mina Murray’s Little Book of Better Burlesque. I have two more books – a costume book and a cookbook – in various stages of progress. I never imagined I’d be an author, but teaching is a passion and writing allows me to reach a larger audience. Through my books and my blog, I can educate people who aren’t able to come to Boston.
They say that time is money, but money is also time. Right now I have a lot of demands on my time. I perform (which entails creating costumes, choreography, props, not to mention taking classes to improve, plus marketing and travel), I run B.A.B.E. (managing and training the staff, developing new courses, and promoting the school), I write (of course), and finally, I have a day job because none of the above would keep a roof over my head nor give me reasonable health insurance. With patronage, I can ease some of the demands on my time and work on the creative endeavors that satisfy my soul.
I have several goals I’d like to work toward with your help.
- I have two more “little books” in the works, but finalizing them and getting them published takes time that I don’t seem to have. With your support I can dedicate myself to buckling down and turning them (one at a time) into reality.
- I have a new costume I’d like to make based on a fabulous costume from the Golden Age of Hollywood. My deadline is March 2019. I know that seems like a long time from now, but it’s going to require a lot of research and improving some of my skills, not to mention some expensive materials.
- Your support will help me pay for photoshoots, so I can bring you more fabulous photos. A good shoot involves photographers, hair & makeup artists, wardrobe, location, &c. I don't work for free and neither should any of the people involved in making me look great.
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Is a video worth a thousand pictures? Writing allows me to reach students all over the world; videos make that teaching more effective. I’d like to improve my video equipment along with the skills to make better and more effective videos.
- I love to travel to perform and your patronage will help make that possible. Right now I’ve performed in 14 states. That’s only 28% of the country! My goal is to reach 50% by the end of 2018. That’s only 11 more states.