In January 2017, we (Kevin Xu and Tony Nagatani) started the Model Majority Podcast out of our respective living rooms, because we thought there was a lack of minority voices in podcasting (and media in general), thus important issues and perspectives were not being heard. With experiences in the White House, Cabinet agencies, and 10+ political campaigns, we wanted to share our takes on current issues and amplify the Asian-American voice however we can.
We also got a bunch of guests who were way above our pay grades--governors, congressmen, news anchors, journalists, artists--on the show to share their stories and thoughts. Two of those guests, Alissa Ko (former White House official and veterans of national and California politics) and Punya Krishnappa (veterans of both of Obama’s presidential campaigns, Enroll America, and Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential run), liked our podcasting so much they decided to join the crew, sometimes as co-hosts, sometimes to book amazing guests, and to add more voices, angles, and insights to this important conversation.
So in January 2018, one year after we started this journey, the NEW we (Alissa, Kevin, Punya, Tony) are embarking on a journey to build a bigger podcast. And we need your support to help us grow and sustain the Model Majority Podcast.
The Asian population in the U.S. grew by a whopping 72% from 2000 - 2015. If this rate continues until the time we retire, Asian-Americans might just be one of the largest racial groups in America! So, we may be the minority among the minorities for now, but our voices, stories, and issues deserve to be amplified. And Model Majority Podcast is doing exactly that.
What will we use the money for?
We will use your generous support to:
- Keep the podcast sustainable for many many years to come (right now it’s funded out of Kevin and Tony’s meager salary)
- Keep the podcast ad free forever (so you don’t ever need to worry about skipping through interruptions about Squarespace/Blue Apron/Casper/Sonos/etc.)
- Buy better recording equipments (Tony’s laptop sometimes crashes when we record, which is sad…)
- Normal operational cost of producing a weekly podcast in perpetuity (website, hosting, occasional promotions, time…)
- Host our first ever live show!
How does the reward tiers work?
Tier I: Crazy 88 Club
- Goal: 88 contributors at $8 per month (just 2 Starbucks venti mocha frappuccinos, which is coincidentally Tony's once-but-no-longer favorite campaign trail indulgence.)
- Shoutouts in each of our episode intro
- Special invitation to be a co-host in one of our future episodes
- Dedicated segment to answer your burning questions
- Our undying gratitude
Tier II: Globalist Elite 88 Club
- Goal: 8 elite contributors at $88 per month (we know this is steep, but the reward is really cool!)
- EXCLUSIVE: Google Hangout with an Asian-American political insider, former senior official, maybe even a current candidate, to chat about all things electoral politics, give you the inside scoop, and answer your questions.
- Surprise Gift Box: we will mail you a gift box full of fun(ny) goodies (Stickers? Tshirts? Rice bowls? We’ll keep the surprise a...well surprise)
- Everything the Crazy 88’s get
Thank you so much for your contribution and for being a patron of the Model Majority Podcast!
Even if you didn’t contribute, thank you for reading all the way to this point of our campaign and giving us a chance to tell you our story! Come back and visit us anytime, we’ll be around for a long time.